We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TuKatz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Epic Competition Cue (Dispatch Listing)

Post by TuKatz » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:49 pm

Hello Everyone:

I am looking for feedback on my Epic Competition Cue for a dispatch listing. I would appreciate if you could take a minute and tell me what you hear in it and what may need improvement. Here is my cue:

https://soundcloud.com/charles-a-wilson ... ge/s-GbAd2

And here is the listing:

EPIC, COMPETITION-Style TENSION INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a hard-working Music Library with a long list of killer placements in countless Hit TV Shows!

NOTE: This company has just started asking for music from TAXI’s members. It’s very unlikely that you’ve got any music in their catalog, so this is an awesome opportunity to get in on the ground floor and build a relationship with this company!

They want Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

The Challenge: Final Reckoning | MTV (From 0:32 – 1:12)

Survivor: Edge of Extinction (From 1:25 -2:06)

Please submit heart-pounding tension Instrumentals Cues that could add dramatic intensity and energy to Reality TV show competitions. Your submission should have huge drum hits and epic Orchestral instrumentation (and possibly some epic-choral elements) that are coupled with some electronic elements (risers, stabs, etc.)

Quoting the Music Library: "Basically, I need the intense, dramatic stuff like they have on "The Challenge" for the competitions -- intense, dramatic, dynamic, percussive, hard-hitting, edgy... lots of builds and hits, and epic orchestral (and possibly choir) elements."

You’d be wise to stick with one melodic idea and mood from beginning to end and give your piece an arc that builds as it progresses. Add and subtract layers of instruments as your Cue moves forward so it sounds like it’s leading to an epic finish!

Your submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-Faded, Button/Stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Thank you in advance for your ears.

LachlanCross

Re: Epic Competition Cue (Dispatch Listing)

Post by LachlanCross » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:27 am

Sounds Epic and fits the listing description. Felt like I was watching Survivor.
Lachlan Cross
Singer/Songwriter/Composer
Sydney, Australia
www.taxi.com/members/lachlancross
www.moonshifter.com

TuKatz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TuKatz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:10 pm

LachlanMaclaine wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:27 am
Sounds Epic and fits the listing description. Felt like I was watching Survivor.
Thank you for your feedback. Have a great evening.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:34 am

I think it's pretty darned good, sounds like a licensable cue to me but the first 20 seconds or so just sound like the same loop going around but I was ready for some development around 11s..I expected a chord change but it stayed on Dm for a whole 40s.

It's probably long enough to chop your intro in half if you wanted to get around it that way. But it sounds pretty epic, I feel if you can just lose that repetitive vibe at the start , one chord or some simple edits should do the trick.

Mark

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:25 am

Hi Charles,

Very good track!
But I will have to agree with Mark (CosmicDolphin)...

The track starts out very strong...but does start to get a bit repetitious during the first
40 seconds.... I know you are trying to get 2 minutes out of it!!!

It may get forwarded as it is.... because it is very strong with lots of great ideas.

If you can somehow add another change into the beginning sequence, it will make this
great track even stronger.

My 5 cents,
Tim

TuKatz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TuKatz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks for your comments Tim and Mark. Yes, I was trying to get 2 minutes out of it (LOL!!!). I don't have time now to make the necessary changes, but will keep them your suggestions in mind for the next one.

Thanks again.