"Hang Ten" Surf Rock Instrumental

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

"Hang Ten" Surf Rock Instrumental

Post by johndalenow » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 am

Please comment. I believe it hits the mark. Whadaya think?

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... am/s-oggfC

ORIGINAL SURF ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed for a several $4,500, NON-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music Supervisor placements in an Action Adventure Fantasy TV Series. This Music Supervisor needs Guitar-Driven, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that would fit on a playlist with these references, which the Music Supervisor gave us:

“Miserlou” by Dick Dale

“Wipe Out” by Surfaris

“Pipeline” by The Chantays

NOTE: Over the course of the next few days you will see quite a few requests from this Music Supervisor as he is working on a series that uses Guitar-based music to represent different eras in music history. This series will need a LOT of different kinds of guitar music, and the Music Supervisor will be using TAXI as one of his primary sources to find that music!

Please submit well-crafted Instrumentals that instantly transport listeners back to the sun-soaked, sandy beaches of Southern California where it all began. Having Electric guitars with tremolo and whammy bar in your production could help get you in the stylistic wheelhouse.

Although Surf Rock music tends to be instrumental, if your tune has some minimalist vocal phrases placed throughout (a la the "Wipe Out" reference) that's okay! That was quite common in this genre. Male vocalists only, though, per the Music Supervisor.

NOTE: Recently recorded Instrumentals, as well as Vintage recordings, are both fair game for this request; however, this Music Supervisor would prefer to hear NEWER recordings that authentically capture the requested musical style.

Quoting the Music Supervisor: “I need uplifting Instrumentals with plenty of dynamics and Infectious Riffs! Great catchy rhythms with deep pocket energy and drive. These tracks need to feel and sound like the real deal.”

Please don’t mention specific names, places, dates, times, brands, or profanity. Do NOT copy the referenced artists in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed.

The estimated license fee for each of these placements is $4,500, depending on the ultimate placement. These will be Direct-to-Music Supervisor placements, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Master and Composition rights, plus you’ll also get 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD; please include Lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Time permitting, the Music Supervisor himself might be able to screen submissions for this request! Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT) on Thursday, May 2nd, 2019. TAXI #Y190502SR

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: "Hang Ten" Surf Rock Instrumental

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Hey John!

I may be being overly critical with this since I love guitar driven stuff, but the track as a whole feels very stiff, quantized, and midi-driven.

Guitar is a very difficult to get to sound real if it’s a virtual instrument in my opinion... it’s very nuanced and expressive in ways that are hard to duplicate.

Having said that, I think you nailed the vibe and the overall idea that the listing is asking for.

Hope that helps some, and good luck with your efforts!

Andrew

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks for your input, Andrew. I may find it necessary to learn how to play guitar. In the meantime, could you suggest more "believable sounding" guitar patches?

Thanks, Brother.

John

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Hey John,

Yes, I agree with Andrew...… the vibe of the track is perfect....
The sound of the instruments is the problem....

I have yet to find a realistic midi guitar sound for this type of thing.....
You really need a drummer a bassist and a guitarist and this track would be outstanding...

My 3 cents,
Tim

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanks, Tim, as always, I appreciate your judgment. Do you think the "East-West" library might do the trick?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:17 pm

The sounds are just not good enough sorry. It sounds like a General Midi track from the 90's.

If you don't play or have access to a guitar player you may be a bit stuck on this one..no guitar patch is going to help.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks Brother! I think I'll take up guitar!

John

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Hi John,

No ...Like Mark said..... no patch will make it sound authentic
I have EW Ministry of Rock..... it will not be good enough....in my opinion.

It would be best to find a band or some players to play the track for you and pay them …. or split the sync and royalties..... if it is used.

For some orchestral tracks... I have hired musicians to play some parts.... it really helps the whole thing sound real.
Also , I have never had a track returned.... or not used by a library or show, when I hired someone to play a real violin or flute or other instrument that is hard to get a good midi sound......

My 4 cents,
Tim
Last edited by ttully on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks again, Tim.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi JDM
As others said, you really need live surf rock style guitar here. Also, as it is it's too soft, it needs a considerably more energetic sound. Even for a lower bar listing, this wouldn't cut it. And this is a $4500 sync opp so you know the bar is way up there.

Your best shot would be to connect with a collaborator here and come up with a kick ass surf rock track.

Also, I really hope you give your submitted tracks batter titles than this one has on Soundcloud, "Surf Rock Instrumental #Y190502SR". Always give your tracks a name that says something about the style and feel of it. Words like surf, beach, party, sand, etc. would work here. If this was just a temporary working title and you already know this... never mind. :D

Good luck!
:D Casey