harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Current Sounding Electronic Dance Submission

Post by harperpeterson » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:26 am

HigherSelf wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:30 pm
hey man,

Honestly I think you are quite a way off sound wise.

I agree with Cosmic, the sounds/synths perc claps/kicks don't sound punchy enough or tbh in the style of the Briefs.

Those tracks use a lot of organic sounds/percussion especially the Zedd one, if you don't have it then look into something like Omnisphere, you will get all the sounds you need for these styles there. :)
Hey, I appreciate the feedback! I was able to find some much better sample packs yesterday :)

Thank you!

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:32 am

LachlanMaclaine wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:33 am
You may wanna throw in some Future Bass chords. ala Chainsmokers, Flume.
Noted! Thank you!!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:49 pm

harperpeterson wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:11 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:38 pm
I'm not using any patches from a workstation synth but do you have any libraries that you would recommend for this style?
I would probably try a subscription to Splice for a little while as there's everything on there without paying for samples you may never use.

It's also down to how you program, layer and mix them too but there's no better starting point than the right sounds from the get go.

Synth wise , take a look at Sylenth, Serum , Massive etc. Watch some EDM tutorials to see what they use. Learn to use sidechain compression as it is all over this type of music and is a large part of the recipe.

Mark

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:50 pm

harperpeterson wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:32 am
LachlanMaclaine wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:33 am
You may wanna throw in some Future Bass chords. ala Chainsmokers, Flume.
Noted! Thank you!!
On this note watch Alex Rome on YouTube

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:01 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:30 am
Glad to see that my initial response triggere a wave of expert opinions. :)
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sorry but the sounds are really dated especially the drums, they just don't cut it for modern EDM.
I don't want to hijack the thread with this question, but since it seems to be an issue over and over again: What specifically makes sounds sound "dated", and what would a modern sounding drums sound in comparison to the one used here? Is it just the EQing? A different sample? What is it? Maybe a whole thread should be dedicated to this? Tom
Well the best way is to use your own ears to figure it out, it's easier to hear than explain.

Try listening to 3 or 4 of the reference style track , and I mean really listen actively maybe on a good set of cans. After track 3 or 4 put OP's track on right after ... you should hear an obvious difference. Write down those differences.

Raw samples have a lot to do with it, if they suck to start with no amount of EQ will help.

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:45 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:01 pm
CTWF wrote:
Glad to see that my initial response triggere a wave of expert opinions. :)
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sorry but the sounds are really dated especially the drums, they just don't cut it for modern EDM.
I don't want to hijack the thread with this question, but since it seems to be an issue over and over again: What specifically makes sounds sound "dated", and what would a modern sounding drums sound in comparison to the one used here? Is it just the EQing? A different sample? What is it? Maybe a whole thread should be dedicated to this? Tom
Well the best way is to use your own ears to figure it out, it's easier to hear than explain.

Try listening to 3 or 4 of the reference style track , and I mean really listen actively maybe on a good set of cans. After track 3 or 4 put OP's track on right after ... you should hear an obvious difference. Write down those differences.

Raw samples have a lot to do with it, if they suck to start with no amount of EQ will help.
This is exactly why I generally shy away from this kind of listing.

I listen to the reference tracks and if they are heavily dependent on samples I don't (yet) have at my disposal I give it a pass. unfortunately that rules out most modern EDM and Pop but I make the most of what I've got.
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:41 pm

jaywilliams wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:45 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:01 pm
CTWF wrote:
This is exactly why I generally shy away from this kind of listing.

I listen to the reference tracks and if they are heavily dependent on samples I don't (yet) have at my disposal I give it a pass. unfortunately that rules out most modern EDM and Pop but I make the most of what I've got.
Well I hate to break it to you but you're probably going to struggle in this game with that mindset

Most modern music uses samples in some shape or form. You might not even realise it half the time. Even raw sounding rock tracks can often have samples beefing up the drums.

They are all over Pop / Hip Hop / EDM, If you can't spring $7.99 a month for something like Splice then you may find it tough yeah.

Mark