Volume Loud Enough?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Volume Loud Enough?

Post by funsongs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:47 am

IMHO - much better... and less likely one would be reaching for the volume knob after listening to something else; call it 'volume equality', if you will.
Good luck with your listing submit/forward/placement/repeat. :? :)
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:50 am

Thanks, HowlingUlf!
Practicing, yeah, how'd you guess? :lol: Back when I originally wrote this arrangement, I was playing anywhere from three to six hours a day. Can't do that anymore, but I am trying to work in at least an hour.

Thanks, Peter! I'm glad I finally got it to the right volume!

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to upload it to my TAXI hosting page now and submit to that listing! Wish me a forward! Thanks!

Merry

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 am

Merryband1 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 am
*Merry tears her hair out at the conflicting opinions and joins Charlie Brown in yelling "Aaaaaaaaargh!"*

Maybe I should go back and dial it back to a 3? I thought 5 was too loud, so I made it a 4. Maybe it's the limiter affecting the nuances? Thanks, Len & Danny! Maybe change the limiter setting or eliminate it altogether? (It's the first time I've actually used the Ozone, so I was winging it.)

Merry
:lol: the limiter only affects the peaks or anything above the threshold level, to allow you to turn up the gain safely, so if you want that level it is imo more preferable to use the limiter as a safety net, so it's not the limiter, it's the gain. The first version sounds like a natural listening position versus my ear next to the guitar's sound hole in the second and third. A compressor is more useful the more instruments you need to balance, or for a solo instrument if the instrument wasn't recorded at an optimal distance from the mic or at less or more than optimal level, or correction.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Yes.... what Len said!

The LAST thing I would do is remove the limiter!!!
It will keep your track from clipping.... while allowing you to turn it up.

Tim

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Volume Loud Enough? Last recording...

Post by Merryband1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks, Len & Tim!

So, then, last recording... Is that the one I should submit? I just listened to it again, and it's on a level with some of my other TAXI homepage tracks. Len, the first one WAS the natural listening position. I recorded about 12 inches from the 12th fret with a Gauge 57. So, you think duplicating the track & turning up the volume messed with the sound quality? I'm getting so confused! :roll: (Not really, just tired from all the mixing and remixing.)

And, do you know of any YouTube classes I can take on using Ozone 7 Elements?

Thanks!
Merry

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Hi Merry,

Instead of messing with Ozone.....
A simple Waves L2 limiter is almost foolproof and sounds great.

They are on sale today at waves.com for $29.

I use it on ALL of my tracks... except a very few with the Avid PRO limiter.

Tim

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Volume Loud Enough? Last recording...

Post by Len911 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Merryband1 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm
Thanks, Len & Tim!

So, then, last recording... Is that the one I should submit? I just listened to it again, and it's on a level with some of my other TAXI homepage tracks. Len, the first one WAS the natural listening position. I recorded about 12 inches from the 12th fret with a Gauge 57. So, you think duplicating the track & turning up the volume messed with the sound quality? I'm getting so confused! :roll: (Not really, just tired from all the mixing and remixing.)

And, do you know of any YouTube classes I can take on using Ozone 7 Elements?

Thanks!
Merry
why not submit both? No, seriously, it's good to have other's opinions, but ultimately you decide. There is no difference in the sound quality, the first one does sound more natural listening position, the others brought up elements you don't normally notice, like boominess in this case imo. It's not always preferable to do that. Take a singing voice, you might want to place it more forward for intimacy, but not so much you get lip smacking, or maybe you do, that's the creative license.
This is where your references and reference levels come in handy. also your ozone metering in/out has various presets including bob katz's k-system. It basically gives you a starting place, in general it changes the 0 db point to either -14 for pop
-12 for rock and -20 for classical, then you aim for the zero mark in your levels.
0 dbfs is db full scale max before digital clipping, and when recording it's important to give yourself some headroom for mixing other tracks so you might record at say -12 db or-18 db.
if you have a reference cd of the music which you prefer is the ideal and what you choose to emulate you can see what it does on the meters. It also gives you a point of reference.
What's confusing is when you try to reference say other tracks on soundcloud for example and compare your tracks,lol. They're generally over-processed and too loud.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:49 am

Good idea. Thanks, Len. I just submitted the revised revision of the revised version :lol: (the FINAL final mix I did this morning). Played it back through our TV (HDMI from computer) and the bass parts did sound a little boomy. After I make a .wav file of it, I think I'll go back and reduce it to the softer original (except with mistakes edited out---yes, there were little flubs, nothing serious, but I don't want to take any chances). Then I'll put it on the TAXI homepage as "in the room" classical guitar version and submit that, too. Yes, it's $5 extra, and I don't have it to spare, but if either or both get forwarded, that will make it all worthwhile, especially if they both are picked up by the library. We shall see. :)

Merry

PS I did a softer version and dialed out about 3 dB of bass. As soon as TAXI's edit-bots get through processing the second version, I'll submit that version, too. (I dropped the Gentlemen off the title to avoid confusion.)

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

I Did It! 2 Versions!

Post by Merryband1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 pm

I submitted 2 versions! Wish me well!
Thanks for all the great input, Gentlemen!

Merry