Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (completely new percussion)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (completely new percussion)

Post by CTWF » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Is this an Urban Dramedy Investigative Cue? I know that the Marimba can use some tidying up time-wise, but how is the rest? My aim would be the listing below. I know that they don't ask for investigative, is that a problem? Does it sound dated, or too funky? Any comments welcome. Tom

https://soundcloud.com/user-851261143/h ... ue/s-buP7D

URBAN DRAMEDY INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a hot International Music Library that’s been signing a lot of TAXI members to keep up with their increasing demand. They love receiving music from TAXI members, and have requested even more!
They’re on the hunt for Mid-To-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic ballpark of the examples below:
Check Yourself: S9 E14 (From 1:27 - 2:01)
Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta (From 1:23-1:55)
Please give them well-crafted Dramedy Instrumental Cues with a noticeable Urban vibe, feel, and style. Your Cues should have contemporary instrumentation and solid production values from top to bottom.
Be sure to build your Cue around a central melodic theme, while adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation as it progresses to create dynamics and movement. Please avoid anything that sounds overly busy, as it could distract from a scene’s dialogue. If you can picture your Instrumental Cue working well in a variety of comical scenes in Urban-centric Reality TV Shows, send it in!
TAXI Tip: This library needs a bunch of fresh Instrumental Cues in this genre; so if you’ve got the goods, don’t be shy about submitting multiple pieces for consideration!
All submissions should be at least 60 seconds in length (somewhere in the ballpark of 60 seconds to 2 minutes is probably your best bet.) Good edit points and Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings are strongly encouraged. Do NOT copy the examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the songs you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT) on Saturday, May 11th, 2019. TAXI #Y190511UD
Last edited by CTWF on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Urban Dramedy Investigative Cue (another misfit!?)

Post by CTWF » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:14 pm

My wife thinks like a lot of my stuff it is somewhat catchy and quirky, but a complete misfit re urban. :lol: :roll: Tom

P.S.: Now she just called it "90s kids detective show". :o :lol:

P.P.S.: And, yes, my 6-year old likes it!

P.P.P.S.: Just talking to myself on here again...

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:40 am

Hey Tom,

Well...that sounds exactly like a track I would of made when I started.....
And I could not figure out why they were not getting forwarded.

Here is why:

It is a very good idea!!
It is definitely an Investigative Urban Drama vibe!
BUT
After the 1st time thru the phrase..... at about :17 …. I am expecting something to be added... probably a synth pad or legato string part.
After the 2nd time thru the phrase,.,,, at about :32 … I am again expecting it to change somehow... perhaps even going completely away from the repeating phrase...
THEN in the middle somewhere after you have completely gone away from the repeating phrase with a new melody….the original phrase starts up again...usually w/o drums.
Then keep adding til the end.
It sounds like you may be playing the melody by hand..... and I can hear the slight imperfections in timing.... In Urban....the timing is usually spot on perfect....meaning quantized to perfection.

Also.... the drums need to change as the track progresses ...for these type of cues, I usually play EVERY DRUM NOTE by hand and quantize them often with 5 to 10 tracks of drums and percussion.

Also ...the word URBAN in the title usually will mean it need san 808 playing somewhere.
You may want to change the drum timing to a half time feel for an urban feel.

Currently you have a snare on 2 and 4 ...instead...have the snare only on 3 every time ...or some of the time.

Now stop talking to yourself!
My 27 cents worth,
Tim

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:26 pm

ttully wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:40 am
Hey Tom, ...
Hey Tim, as always great advice. I hope I'll have the time to develop it a little along those lines. I have already programmed the marimba tonight, so it's going to be timely. Re 808, what about my sub-wobble, does that count towards it, or do you mean more sustained subbass playing (my guess)? Tom

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Hey Tom,

Yes...more sustained playing below 85 Hz.

A DAW would make your life SO much easier!
maybe not at first..... but as soon as you become familiar with it!

My 1 cent,
Tim

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:56 pm

ttully wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:51 pm
Yes...more sustained playing below 85 Hz.
Understood! Will work on this after Easter.
ttully wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:51 pm
A DAW would make your life SO much easier!
maybe not at first..... but as soon as you become familiar with it!
I know, I know. Had to create a MIDI in MuseScore, then onto USB and into Yamaha. Then recorded back into Audacity... :lol: :roll: Anyway, it sounds now like this and I added a "bridge".

[Link removed.]

Over the next few days I will then try to work on the more important things you wrote. At least the timing is better now and there is a spaceholder in the middle, so to speak. Thanks again! Tom
Last edited by CTWF on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Hey Tom,

I remember in the 1990's I used to copy stuff I did on a standalone keyboard to some storage device and then copy it to my PC so I could copy it into Protools…
...what a major pain in the #$$ !!!!!!!

A DAW will come in very handy when the music supervisor says.... cut out the middle 10 seconds starting at :45.
Take the intro riff and move it to 1:08 and repeat the part starting at 1:30 until the end!
And one last thing...can you speed the whole thing up so that it is 1:59.5 in length.
And I need it ASAP.

I see a DAW in your (very near) future,
Tim

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:07 pm

ttully wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:25 pm
I see a DAW in your (very near) future,
A new DAWn? Still procrastinating...

Here is my newest version. More variation. Did not get to the percussion and 808 yet, but I feel I am going the right direction. But am I?? :?

[Link removed.]

Tom
Last edited by CTWF on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Urban Dramedy Investigative Cue (IMPROVED!?)

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:23 pm

I think they're all likely to be misfits until you start using the right tools for the job Tom

There's no excuse.

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Urban Dramedy Investigative Cue (IMPROVED!?)

Post by CTWF » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:31 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:23 pm
I think they're all likely to be misfits until you start using the right tools for the job Tom

There's no excuse.
I appreciate the well-meant kick in the butt -- BUT I might produce stylistically off-target tracks with a DAW as well. :roll: Point being: I know I run a tricycle in a Formula 1 race, but I should still be able to reach the finishing line with that tricycle, or do I miss something? :) Tom