Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Urban Dramedy Cue

Post by johndalenow » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:45 am

Whadaya think?

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... am/s-fdETo

URBAN DRAMEDY INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a hot International Music Library that’s been signing a lot of TAXI members to keep up with their increasing demand. They love receiving music from TAXI members, and have requested even more!

They’re on the hunt for Mid-To-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic ballpark of the examples below:

Check Yourself: S9 E14 (From 1:27 - 2:01)

Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta (From 1:23-1:55)

Please give them well-crafted Dramedy Instrumental Cues with a noticeable Urban vibe, feel, and style. Your Cues should have contemporary instrumentation and solid production values from top to bottom.

Be sure to build your Cue around a central melodic theme, while adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation as it progresses to create dynamics and movement. Please avoid anything that sounds overly busy, as it could distract from a scene’s dialogue. If you can picture your Instrumental Cue working well in a variety of comical scenes in Urban-centric Reality TV Shows, send it in!

TAXI Tip: This library needs a bunch of fresh Instrumental Cues in this genre; so if you’ve got the goods, don’t be shy about submitting multiple pieces for consideration!

All submissions should be at least 60 seconds in length (somewhere in the ballpark of 60 seconds to 2 minutes is probably your best bet.) Good edit points and Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings are strongly encouraged. Do NOT copy the examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the songs you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT) on Saturday, May 11th, 2019. TAXI #Y190511UD

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Urban Dramedy Cue

Post by ttully » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:50 am

Hey John,

Quoting from the source:
Please give them well-crafted Dramedy Instrumental Cues with a noticeable Urban vibe, feel, and style. Your Cues should have contemporary instrumentation and solid production values from top to bottom

Your track seems to have a dated sound , and is not quite urban enough..if that makes any sense.

Please see the comments I just made to CTWF about his Urban Dramedy Investigative Cue....Basically the same comments apply to your track.

I'll also add...you NEED a good 808 bass and or kick.... and more updated sounds.... URBAN NEEDS GOOD BASS !!!!!

Again, my 3 cents worth,
Tim

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 am

ttully wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:50 am
Hey John,

Quoting from the source:
Please give them well-crafted Dramedy Instrumental Cues with a noticeable Urban vibe, feel, and style. Your Cues should have contemporary instrumentation and solid production values from top to bottom

Your track seems to have a dated sound , and is not quite urban enough..if that makes any sense.

Please see the comments I just made to CTWF about his Urban Dramedy Investigative Cue....Basically the same comments apply to your track.

I'll also add...you NEED a good 808 bass and or kick.... and more updated sounds.... URBAN NEEDS GOOD BASS !!!!!

Again, my 3 cents worth,
Tim
Tim,

Is this closer?

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... am/s-7u5eA

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:20 am

Hi John,

Still not close enough.

I put a track on my Taxi page called 'Crack Me up'.... It is an Urban Dramedy track....it is a few years old but I think it has been on a few shows....
My track is a bit repetitious and I would have changed it up a lot differently if I submitted it now...but that is not the point!

A/B 'Crack Me up' with your track.
Notice the difference in depth between my track and yours....especially if you use good headphones!

Your track seems to be layers of more mid and high end sounds sitting on each other (if that makes any sense)…
It needs sounds that cover the whole spectrum...sub bass to high end.
Also Urban is almost always going to mean you need an 808 kick or bass.

Also your main riff is dated sounding...it reminds me of something from the 80's.... that could be good for some listings..but I don't think for this one.
It is also not quitter dramedy sounding.

What I do all the time when Taxi gives an example with a video is... play my track with the video and see if it would fit.
I keep the volume of the video up.... but have my track slighty louder than the track on the video.... to see if it sounds good for the scene.

I hope I don't sound all high and mighty like I know everything...cause I DON'T.

Just my 34 cents worth.... I could be wrong!
Tim
Last edited by ttully on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:45 am

ttully wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:20 am
Hi John,

Still not close enough.

I put a track on my Taxi page called 'Crack Me up'.... It is an Urban Dramedy track....it is a few years old but I think it has been on a few shows....
My track is a bit repetitious and I would have changed it up a lot differently if I submitted it now...but that is not the point!

A/B 'Crack Me up' with your track.
Notice the difference in depth between my track and yours....especially if you use good headphones!

Your track seems to be layers of more mid and high end sounds sitting on each other (if that makes any sense)…
It needs sounds that cover the whole spectrum...sub bass to high end.
Also Urban is almost always going to mean you need an 808 kick or bass.

Also your main riff is dated sounding...it reminds me of something from the 80's.... that could be good for some listings..but I don't think for this one.
It is also not quitter dramedy sounding.

What I do all the time when Taxi gives an example with a video is... play my track with the video and see if it would fit.
I keep the volume of the video on but have my track slighty louder than the track on the video....

I hope I don't sound all high and mighty like I know everything...cause I DON'T.

Just my 34 cents worth.... I could be wrong!
Tim
Tim,

I'm the type of person that always remembers the people that help me along the way. Though I can't imagine what it might be, if there is EVER a time when I could help YOU with something, please know that I would gladly do so.

I listened to "Crack Me Up" along with some of your other tracks and I am impressed, especially with your attention to detail.

I'll continue to make adjustments to my track.

Best!

John

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:01 pm

Doesn't sound like a Dramedy cue to me at all..or very Urban either..If I were a Screener I would be returning it for being stylistically off target

My best advice would be to read Demystifying the Genre, and then learn how to make Hip Hop beats from one of the many Youtube channels

Mark

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:16 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:01 pm
Doesn't sound like a Dramedy cue to me at all..or very Urban either..If I were a Screener I would be returning it for being stylistically off target

My best advice would be to read Demystifying the Genre, and then learn how to make Hip Hop beats from one of the many Youtube channels

Mark
I will do the reading and check out youtube. Thanks for commenting, Mark.

John