Writing with non-Taxi-members?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DanWessels
Active
Active

Writing with non-Taxi-members?

Post by DanWessels » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:57 am

Does anyone have any advice on going about the business side of writing/submitting cues with a non-Taxi-member? I have a few different friends I think it'd be fun to write and record with, but they aren't members.

I've been dragging my heels asking these potential collaborators because I didn't want to do the work about figuring out splits, doing paperwork, who pays the submission fee, etc, but now seems like the right time for me to figure it all out.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Writing with non-Taxi-members?

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi Dan
You, as a member, can submit a song that has non-member co-writers. The only requirement is that YOU, the member, is one of the writers.

My strong suggestion is, before submitting (or pitching anywhere), make sure the writers and the splits are documented in writing. I've seen deals blown when the parties involved don't have their act together and ownership isn't clear. No publisher wants a song that has disputes as to ownership and/or splits.

HTH. Good luck!
:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Writing with non-Taxi-members?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:59 am

DanWessels wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:57 am
Does anyone have any advice on going about the business side of writing/submitting cues with a non-Taxi-member? I have a few different friends I think it'd be fun to write and record with, but they aren't members.

I've been dragging my heels asking these potential collaborators because I didn't want to do the work about figuring out splits, doing paperwork, who pays the submission fee, etc, but now seems like the right time for me to figure it all out.
Like Casey said these 'other folks' often don't have their ducks in a row if something comes of it..i.e. they may not be a member of a PRO or deliver stems etc. in a timely fashion or be slow to sign a Library deal

So basically yes but know what's required from them if anything happens