Add real horns? Salsa listing

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Add real horns? Salsa listing

Post by tresero » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 am

I'm working on a 90 second spot for this listing. Y190425SA (ORIGINAL SALSA INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful, NON-Exclusive Music Library that gets tons of placements in TV Shows, Films, and TV Commercials. They’re on the hunt for Mid-To-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues)

Please submit original, Salsa Instrumentals that have plenty of Latin authenticity. Give them pieces that inspire Salsa dancing or that sound like something you’d hear while eating at a Mexican restaurant. If you're planning on using Virtual Instruments or samples, they need to sound like the real deal. Anything that sounds stiff, obviously quantized, or synth-y won’t work well for this request.

Normally I don't use my midi mockups for real salsa, but time is running out, and not to mention the cost of trumpets and bones.

Should I maybe put one trumpet on top and leave the midi (I haven't tweaked anything yet so I'm sure I can make them sound even better). Or go all out?

Again, this is just a mockup so I will tweak it, but the deadline is only a few days away.

https://hearthis.at/jongriffin/midi-mix-rough-1/sZt/

Thanks

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Add real horns? Salsa listing

Post by ttully » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:08 am

Hi tresero,

Is sounds pretty midi.... and the listing says they need to sound like the REAL DEAL.

SO....
Of course you should see what a trumpet sounds like on top of the midi....and of course adding a trombone wouldn't hurt either.

My 2 cents,
Tim

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:15 am

ttully wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:08 am
Hi tresero,

Is sounds pretty midi.... and the listing says they need to sound like the REAL DEAL.

SO....
Of course you should see what a trumpet sounds like on top of the midi....and of course adding a trombone wouldn't hurt either.

My 2 cents,
Tim
Thanks Tim.

I will probably do 2 trumpets and a bone. Time to start writing charts :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:36 pm

Everything in it sounds exactly like the thing they said they don't want

Drums ..bass..piano..but especially the brass. It sounds like something from Band A Box or a home keyboard..or are you replacing all the sounds ?

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:30 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:36 pm

Drums ..bass..piano..but especially the brass. It sounds like something from Band A Box or a home keyboard..or are you replacing all the sounds ?
As I mentioned, this is a mockup, so yes, it will be replaced. The piano will be the only thing not played live (well it was played live, but I will replace the piano sound). Probably take most of the drum kit out. I play bass, percussion and other stuff. Have 2 trumpets and 2 trombones being added.

I very deeply understand this style of music, that's why I was a little conflicted since MIDI doesn't work and live players add up :) If I was at my house in Cuba I could trade, but in this case, I found someone to cut the brass for me reasonably.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:48 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:

BTW thanks for the feedback. I didn't mean to be terse (if it sounded like that). I'm dealing with a nasty divorce and well... Maybe I can write a song :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:45 am

tresero wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:48 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:

BTW thanks for the feedback. I didn't mean to be terse (if it sounded like that). I'm dealing with a nasty divorce and well... Maybe I can write a song :)
No worries, I look forward to hearing it with it's proper instrumentation, sounds like you gotta handle on the style.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:12 pm

Well here is the updated version. Any comments are appreciated.

https://hearthis.at/jongriffin/mistico-90/ySj/

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:42 am

Sounds a lot lot better, although I think the mix balance is not quite right so you might wanna work on that some more and the piano is a little flat / dull for me but I think you're getting there and could possibly be onto a winner.

I did a cue recently for a Taxi friendly Library where they wanted some Mexican influence, it's for a reality show so it's more of a hybrid / crossover than a traditional sounding cue. I'd not done one like it before so I had my work cut out and had to get researching as I'm more of an EDM kinda guy.

It's here if you wanna listen https://soundcloud.com/cosmicdolphin/el ... -4/s-I5hGx

Mark

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:42 am
Sounds a lot lot better, although I think the mix balance is not quite right so you might wanna work on that some more and the piano is a little flat / dull for me but I think you're getting there and could possibly be onto a winner.

I did a cue recently for a Taxi friendly Library where they wanted some Mexican influence, it's for a reality show so it's more of a hybrid / crossover than a traditional sounding cue. I'd not done one like it before so I had my work cut out and had to get researching as I'm more of an EDM kinda guy.

It's here if you wanna listen https://soundcloud.com/cosmicdolphin/el ... -4/s-I5hGx

Mark
Thanks Mark. My ears are messed up from allergies :( but I'll mess with the mix a bit since it's due today.