Surf listing

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JoeCurran
Active
Active

Surf listing

Post by JoeCurran » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi all. Newbie here from Stirling Scotland.
I have put a track together for the Surf Rock listing and was hoping to get some thoughts or feedback .

https://soundcloud.com/user-999855695-2 ... f-the-ride

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Surf listing

Post by ResonantTone » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:01 pm

Hey Joe!

Here's some thoughts that hit me as I listened through:

1) The drums sound more like a loop with overly quantized hits than a drummer playing along to some surf music back in the day. If the drums you're using are midi notes, you can humanize them a bit with some slightly varied velocities and midi-note placement. If you're using an audio loop, I'd say look for another loop altogether or try switch over to midi.
2) The drums need a different space/reverb than what you've got goin. If you listen to the reference tracks given in the listing, (even though the recording quality is pretty rough since it's old) there is an ambience surrounding the drums.
3) I think if you're gonna imply some 12 bar blues, you should stick with the normals changes. Yours was more like an altered 20 bar blues that stayed on the IV chord too long. :)
4) I liked the lead playing, but my ear was hoping to hear some more of the phrygian/harmonic minor stuff that really gives surf lead it's recognizable flair.
5) The guitar tones were great. If I were to change anything, it would be to add some more top end on that very first guitar to come in. Also, don't be afraid to go crazy with an old style spring reverb.
6) To my ears, it sounded like the whole track could use a little compression.

The hard part about the listing itself is not knowing 100% how "old" they want the track to sound. There is a chance that your entire track may sound too new, but who knows. The listing says they prefer newer recordings, but that it should sound like "the real deal". I got annoyed tryin to figure it out, so I submitted two tracks... one with a very dated sound, and another with a little more bass and a bit crisper.

Hope some of that helps!
Good luck with it, and keep rocking on that guitar. Sounded great, man!

Andrew

JoeCurran
Active
Active

Re: Surf listing

Post by JoeCurran » Wed May 01, 2019 4:01 am

Hi Andrew. Thanks for the feedback very useful and goes into the finer details.
I will try to tweak a few bits before Thursday. It’s a drum machine I use but still a bit wet behind the ears with it . I think there is a “swing” function which may help it sound a bit more organic. Midi I don’t know how to use yet buts it’s on my list to trawl to get my head round it.
Thanks again and good luck with the tracks.

Joe