Hi ppl! :)

Yet another surf rock attempt.
Is it surf enourgh?
Anything else I have forgotten?

The song
Waverider

[edits]
17:53 2019-05-05 rewrote the drum intro from scratch
18:19 2019-05-05 found and destroyed an overdrive stompbox in the signal chain and I like that a lot better. Strange! I put it there during the process of creating the track and it sounded better then ... :? :lol:
18:40 2019-05-05 didn't really hear the OH comment. Then I soloed the OH and swept with a pointy EQ band and found a spot that has an almost whistling quality like it's close to self-oscillation!!! Tamed down. Not sure that's it?

TAXI #Y190502SR wrote: ORIGINAL SURF ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed for a several $4,500, NON-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music Supervisor placements in an Action Adventure Fantasy TV Series. This Music Supervisor needs Guitar-Driven, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that would fit on a playlist with these references, which the Music Supervisor gave us:

“Miserlou” by Dick Dale

“Wipe Out” by Surfaris

“Pipeline” by The Chantays

NOTE: Over the course of the next few days you will see quite a few requests from this Music Supervisor as he is working on a series that uses Guitar-based music to represent different eras in music history. This series will need a LOT of different kinds of guitar music, and the Music Supervisor will be using TAXI as one of his primary sources to find that music!

Please submit well-crafted Instrumentals that instantly transport listeners back to the sun-soaked, sandy beaches of Southern California where it all began. Having Electric guitars with tremolo and whammy bar in your production could help get you in the stylistic wheelhouse.

Although Surf Rock music tends to be instrumental, if your tune has some minimalist vocal phrases placed throughout (a la the "Wipe Out" reference) that's okay! That was quite common in this genre. Male vocalists only, though, per the Music Supervisor.

NOTE: Recently recorded Instrumentals, as well as Vintage recordings, are both fair game for this request; however, this Music Supervisor would prefer to hear NEWER recordings that authentically capture the requested musical style.

Quoting the Music Supervisor: “I need uplifting Instrumentals with plenty of dynamics and Infectious Riffs! Great catchy rhythms with deep pocket energy and drive. These tracks need to feel and sound like the real deal.”

Please don’t mention specific names, places, dates, times, brands, or profanity. Do NOT copy the referenced artists in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Last edited by HowlingUlf on Sun May 05, 2019 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: TAXI #Y190502SR is this surf rock?

Post by ttully » Sun May 05, 2019 8:11 am

Hi HowlingUlf,

Yes...this is a good surf track...

The drum intro is a little off.
It seems to start with a BD and the beat is hard to detect.

Make it a good drum fill with DEFINITE accents leading into the track...so the listener knows exactly what is going on...
Start with a snare with definite accents... …. not with a BD hit leading into the snare.

Besides that...very nice!

Tim

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Sun May 05, 2019 8:32 am

Wow, great job on the guitars (love3 tremolo picking) and the composition. Lots of energy in this one. Here are a few thoughts:
- Some of the git tones might be driven a bit too hard, if you're going for period sounds. The lead in places sounds a bit like modern pre-amp distortion vs. the sound you get when you dime an old fender twin or tweed bassman
- I'd tame the overheads a bit on the drums. that definitely is the sound you want for surf drums, room and distance mics, but something in the expanded highs felt a bit grading on my ears.

Hope this is helpful!
Erich

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Sun May 05, 2019 9:27 am

You like??? Cooool! 8-)

So ...

[edits]
17:53 2019-05-05 rewrote the drum intro from scratch
18:19 2019-05-05 found and destroyed an overdrive stompbox in the signal chain and I like that a lot better. Strange! I put it there during the process of creating the track and it sounded better then ... :? :lol:
18:40 2019-05-05 didn't really hear the OH comment. Then I soloed the OH and swept with a pointy EQ band and found a spot that has an almost whistling quality like it's close to self-oscillation!!! Tamed down. Not sure that's it?

Thanx for your time!

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sun May 05, 2019 11:16 am

Better drum intro! I didn't get lost.....

Very nice,

Hang ten!!!
Tim