Watching TV

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Watching TV

Post by Merryband1 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:32 pm

Thanks to TAXI TV, I was watching an old episode of "Angel" a couple of days ago and suddenly, as the hero was walking down a dark alley, I noticed the music in the background was a drone cue! The tension cues I already noticed, but this was almost an "aha" moment! Without TAXI TV and the listings, I don't know if I'd ever have told the difference. :D

Merry

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Watching TV

Post by ResonantTone » Sun May 05, 2019 8:51 pm

I know the feeling! I wasn't much of a tv person in the first place really, but now when I do watch I'm zoned in on everything that's happening in the background instead of the actual show. :lol: It's a bit crazy how there are basically no extended periods of film without some kind of music supporting the scene.. and for most people (including myself before joining taxi), you don't even realize it or acknowledge it.. it just adds to the emotion of the dialogue.

My wife thinks it's hilarious since I've always loathed her reality tv stuff, but now I'll sit there and actually look interested! :lol:

Andrew

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:36 am

So true, Andrew! We occasionally watch old movies from the early days of talkies, and it's weird how much we miss the background music! There may be some for chase scenes, but other than that, unless it's a musical, there's very little background music. Nowadays, it's there whether it's noticed or not, and it does add to the emotions of a scene!
Glad you're watching the reality TV with your wife now. Guess you'll be submitting some dramedy cues before too long! :D
Best,
Merry

kyliecouper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kyliecouper » Mon May 06, 2019 8:16 pm

ResonantTone wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:51 pm

My wife thinks it's hilarious since I've always loathed her reality tv stuff, but now I'll sit there and actually look interested! :lol:

Andrew
This is me too!!! My kids love reality TV shows and I always used to hassle them about it! Now I actually watch some with them so I can learn exactly how cues are used!!!
(although I don't last very long. A lot of those shows really are terrible!!!)

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:35 pm

Kylie, it's good that you don't have to listen for long to get the ideas behind the cues and how they're used! You get the info with less irritation. :D

Merry

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Thu May 09, 2019 6:37 pm

I learned from Michael Laskow how to "watch TV" with my back to it.... the visuals and the plot can SERIOUSLY get in the way of listening to the music... specially if you are a guy watching Love and Hip Hop... WOWZER!

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr