Vocal Pre Amp

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Post Reply
Laurassound
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am
Contact:

Vocal Pre Amp

Post by Laurassound » Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Hello Fellow Taxi Drivers,
I've decided do some updating in my studio. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good preamp for vocals.

User avatar
lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Tasmania Australia
Contact:

Re: Vocal Pre Amp

Post by lesmac » Mon May 13, 2019 9:14 pm

What sort of interface and mic are you using?
You may get a more noticeable improvement in quality by upgrading your mic [if your interface pres are pretty reasonable].
External preamps are good if you need to drive microphones with low output [ribbons and dynamics, some small condensers too]. Large diaphragm condensers favoured for vocals usually have a higher output.
Whatever you do take your time and ask mr google as many questions as you can.
I hate buyer's remorse. :evil:

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro
Posts: 5326
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:13 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Peculiar, MO
Contact:

Re: Vocal Pre Amp

Post by Len911 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:09 am

I saw your other post about singing and guitar. If you don't have the luxury of visiting a store that has a large inventory to audition and thus are blind buying, and knowing that there are so many diverse opinions, and price ranges. and have nothing
in particular in mind, and just want a general recommendation, I would probably go with a used Neumann U87 and an API 500 series mic preamp in a 2 or 3 slot 500 series rack. You'll need an a/d interface for your computer.

That gives you a few polar patterns to work with, keeping you away from tube issues, and offering a preamp you'll never hear a bad review of. The more specific your ideas, perhaps the finer your specifications can be, this is just a "no regrets"
recommendation, and choices that also have great resale if you ever have the need to, though you won't have the need to as far as quality.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Laurassound
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am
Contact:

Re: Vocal Pre Amp

Post by Laurassound » Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 pm

lesmac wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:14 pm
What sort of interface and mic are you using?
You may get a more noticeable improvement in quality by upgrading your mic [if your interface pres are pretty reasonable].
External preamps are good if you need to drive microphones with low output [ribbons and dynamics, some small condensers too]. Large diaphragm condensers favoured for vocals usually have a higher output.
Whatever you do take your time and ask mr google as many questions as you can.
I hate buyer's remorse. :evil:
I'm using a very good Blueberry mic that fits my alto (sometimes loud) voice. This mic has served me well but I think I need an updated preamp.

Laurassound
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am
Contact:

Re: Vocal Pre Amp

Post by Laurassound » Wed May 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Len911 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:09 am
I saw your other post about singing and guitar. If you don't have the luxury of visiting a store that has a large inventory to audition and thus are blind buying, and knowing that there are so many diverse opinions, and price ranges. and have nothing
in particular in mind, and just want a general recommendation, I would probably go with a used Neumann U87 and an API 500 series mic preamp in a 2 or 3 slot 500 series rack. You'll need an a/d interface for your computer.

That gives you a few polar patterns to work with, keeping you away from tube issues, and offering a preamp you'll never hear a bad review of. The more specific your ideas, perhaps the finer your specifications can be, this is just a "no regrets"
recommendation, and choices that also have great resale if you ever have the need to, though you won't have the need to as far as quality.
Thank you for the recommendation.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4280
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Vocal Pre Amp

Post by Kolstad » Thu May 16, 2019 1:35 am

Hi Laura, try watching this video on the subject. It gives a really good perspective on what you can expect in different budget ranges. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p1T1VKr09pg

You didnt mention a budget, so if you are totally free, you cant go wrong with a studio staple like the Neve 511 mic pre. It will last you a lifetime. However, you can also find perfectly useable gear on a smaller budget, as you can see from the video.

User avatar
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: Vocal Pre Amp

Post by Razor7Music » Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi There Laura--

If you decide to get a mic pre, for the value, I really like the ART products. I bought another one after my first--no issues and like I said, there are very reasonably priced. This is the model I bought - ART Pro MPA II (two channel tube) Here

I worked for for GC between jobs years ago and fell in love with the Avalon pres. Now, they are not low cost--but the owner would come in (El Toro, CA) and go over how all the circuitry was silver, etc. etc. Anyway, I can dream can't I? :D
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Taxi Member Since November 2012

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:12 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Vocal Pre Amp

Post by MBantle » Fri May 17, 2019 11:12 am

Laurassound wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 pm
Hello Fellow Taxi Drivers,
I've decided do some updating in my studio. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good preamp for vocals.
If you do not want to spend an awful lot of money I can recommend the Warm Audio preamps. It obviously depends on what sound you are looking for.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ent-preamp
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Matt

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest