andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Blaxsploitation track return feedback

Post by andygabrys » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:18 pm

waveheavy wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:18 am
I really think it's just the arrangement and mix.
YES!!

broadcast quality = mix + production + arrangement + vibe = it could sit in a playlist with the three refs and sound just like them with some fresh musical ideas so its not a copyright rip.

It doesn't refer to the mix itself. If the arrangement isn't happening the mix won't happen either - for this particular listing. It may be a great track for another use which is the case here.

All the clues are in the ref tracks. The kind of instruments. The style of parts. The kind of chords (meaning triads vs. extended and chord progression). The usual way of using every instrument (like the wah guitar has 16th note subdivisions).

IMO on this one:

1) fretless bass
2) overplaying - mainly on the fretless. The solos you can accept but if they are too heavy that is enough for DQ as well.
3) 80's sounding electric piano instead of more of a 70's Rhodes / less tines more distortion in sound - none of the refs have Rhodes featured anyways
4) too wide bandwidth on everything - high and low pass every thing that isn't bass or kick. The 70's sound isn't "muddy" as much as it is "bandwidth limited".
5) too much stereo - instead of more mono sources panned across the soundstage.
6) general smooth jazz vibe

You can obviously play and arrange - with another attempt I bet you could nail this.

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nicotina » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:47 pm

This sounds great to me, but I think this is a tough sound to nail. My submission got send back too, and it was similar to yours (although you have better chops). I think yours might be too clean and professional sounding, more like a jazz recording. They may want something murkier, with fills, riffs and noodling rather then real solos. I'm going to redo mine taking some of the advice you got above about distortion, reverb, clipping.

I also have noticed that I never get any forwards playing Hammond organ. It just seems to be an unpopular instrument these days. When they want retro I give them Fender Rhodes. Love your disco strings sound. I can't get mine to sound like that...

Vince

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:17 pm

The master has spoken. Andy's words are always gold.

My own comments: Damn dude, you can play. Really nice music. The bass seems to busy and prominent for me, more like Jaco instead of Bootsie. the horn patches don't cut it for me, but I'm anal about it since I'm a horn player. :) The organ rocked as well, but it seemed too hot in the mix when it came in. The horns could be spread out, hard panned to create some separation. And play less complex... dare I say "dumb it down" musically. Keep it simple so that the music doesn't distract from potential dialogue.

Really nice stuff, hit me up if you ever want a live sax player... I can help with horns. :)

Paulie
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:37 pm

pwaara wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:47 pm
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it. Some good comments. The return was due to the recording, particularly the mix. Here's the actual comments.

"Cool concept. You might get closer to the brief's requirement of broadcast quality. You might consider eq'ing your percussion and bringing down the volume a bit in your mix also balancing out your instruments to try to get more of a 70s production sound."

Thanks everyone. The forums are great for honest feedback.
hi Pat nice track, the screener calling out "broadcast quality" is a mystery to me.

if anything I think the track is great but might be a little bit too "busy" to serve as a supporting track.

definitely not one to throw away even though it got Returned.

please update us if you post a revised mix !

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Thanks for the comments everybody. I just saw the last page of feedback. I do plan to remix the track, but I have been swamped lately (plus I'm working on new submissions.) If/when I get a remix done, I'll let you all know.

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:56 pm

BTW, can anyone point me to the Forwards posting for this listing? I can't find it on the Forwards blog.

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Thu May 16, 2019 1:00 pm

Well, I gave this tune another shot at listing Y190513SV

I remixed the last version, and put it up on Youtube. You can find it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0XoK-GtdVs

Alas, it was returned again. I thought I had it this time. Please let me know your thoughts. Here is the listing text.

"ORIGINAL, 1970s-SOUNDING, SOUL/FUNK INSTRUMENTALS are needed for an (up to) $12,000 placement by a NON-Exclusive Publisher that’s feeding material to the Music Supervisor of a Hit TV Series.

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (recently recorded/Retro-sounding or Vintage Recordings can both work) that would fall within the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references we got from our client:

“Pusherman” by Curtis Mayfield

“Theme From Shaft” by Isaac Hayes

“It's Your Thing” by The Isley Brothers

Quoting Our Source: “The Instrumental should be in a '70s Soul/Funk style, in the general range of the references. The production can be modern as long they're able to capture the vibe of the references.”

Give them original, full-length Instrumentals with a classic, authentic Soul and/or Funk vibe and feel. Your Instrumentals should have plenty of personality, infectious rhythms, soulfully expressive melodies, funky bass lines, and solid, in-the-pocket drum parts. Your submission must maintain a groove in order for it to work for this request!"