Mid to up tempo?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Mid to up tempo?

Post by tresero » Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Both examples, at least to me, are nowhere near mid to up tempo? Am I wrong, or overthinking?

MINIMALIST COVERS of PUBLIC DOMAIN CHRISTMAS INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a successful International Music Licensing Company with worldwide distribution through BMG!

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up Tempo Instrumental Cues that would fall in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following examples:

O come, O come, Emmanuel (Piano/Cello) - The Piano Guys

Silent Night (instrumental) - Piano and Violin duet

Quoting the Music Library: “We are looking for tracks that are minimalistic, sparse, and somehow simple. That does NOT mean boring, repetitive, or without evolvement. Please avoid sending solo pieces. We prefer to have at least two instruments in a cue. So if you have a solo piece, please add another instrument or two and send this new version instead.”

Minimalist like Steve Reich, Philip Glass, etc.? NO. Minimalist for TV, film, and advertising? YOU BET.

You’d be wise to submit Instrumental Covers that stay close to the original melody so that the piece is easily recognizable. They’re looking for Instrumentals in all genres, but your compositions should be performed on a limited/small number of instruments. Pieces should not feel huge or even big, and you should use as simple motifs as possible. Submitting overly busy compositions for this pitch could distract from a scene’s dialog.

All submissions should be around Two Minutes long (give or take) with non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Please double check to make sure the songs you submit are truly Public Domain! In case you’re unsure, here’s a link that will help: Public Domain Christmas Songs

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - Short Critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT) on Sunday, May 19th, 2019. TAXI #Y190519PD

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Mid to up tempo?

Post by Kolstad » Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 am

As I read the listing, the references are for style only, not for specific tempos and so, as it would be if they had one of the references as a temp track, and have cut the film to the tempo of the music.
Ceo of my own life

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 am

Kolstad wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 am
As I read the listing, the references are for style only, not for specific tempos and so, as it would be if they had one of the references as a temp track, and have cut the film to the tempo of the music.
Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe.

That is tempo, not just style. I'll just go by what they ask for not the references.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu May 16, 2019 11:38 am

Yeah, I see. You should email Taxi about what the needs really are, because the references are certainly not mid/uptempo as you write. Maybe they just forgot a standard snippet of text in there..
Ceo of my own life

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat May 18, 2019 6:48 am

Hi tresero,

Just speed that mother UP!

Actually ...just don't play it like a funeral dirge....
No...not speed metal either...

More like a happy..Silent Night....not a sad Silent Night.

My 1 cent worth,
Tim

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Sun May 19, 2019 11:33 am

Well, I just went with this. Punto Guajiro version of a classic. I may have over thought this, but I like the way it turned out.

https://jongriffinmusic.com/my-music/fi ... la-navidad