Screener #132 : What is Broadcast Quality for you ?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sherrylynnlee
Active
Active

Re: Screener #132 : What is Broadcast Quality for you ?

Post by sherrylynnlee » Tue May 21, 2019 10:23 am

That's interesting. My christmas submission was also returned with similar comments about it not being "broadcast quality", even though my production mentor thought it was quite good.
I thought maybe they meant they were expecting a bigger production or different sound or something. Or maybe we all need to get whatever headphones #132 is using to test our mixes :D
VOCALS: sherrylynnlee.com | DUO: 23rdHr.com | MUSIC BIZ: SmartMusicianGuide.com | LIFESTYLE: sherryandgeorge.com

BCSongsmith

Post by BCSongsmith » Thu May 23, 2019 11:57 pm

The same screener also downplayed my song for lack of broadcast quality. I'll post an in-depth response to this tomorrow that includes two other recent reviews of the same song. https://youtu.be/U3zIV8IySP0

BCSongsmith

Post by BCSongsmith » Fri May 24, 2019 11:11 pm

Listing #Y190403CS
RE-IMAGINED COVERS of well-known SONGS with Male, Female, or Duet Vocals are needed by a super well-connected Publisher for a wide range of Film, TV, and Commercial placements.
Song Title: We Three Kings Of Orient Are
Reasons not Forwarded:
Stylistically Off Target ✓
Music ✓
Pretty decent recording here....Sounds far too much though like Crash Test Dummies doin' a Christmas EP imho!...A little too far away from the original beautiful melodies though.
Listener ID # 421
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listing #Y190430XM
PUBLIC DOMAIN CHRISTMAS SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a successful and very active Music Licensing Company with a really impressive list of Film and TV placements. They're interested in hearing Instrumentals in a wide variety of Genres and styles, ranging from (but not limited to) Orchestral, Singer/Songwriter, Hip-Hop, Folk, EDM, Dance, Soul, Pop, Rock, etc; etc.
Reasons not Forwarded:
Vocal Performance ✓
I like the creativity in this version, but find the vocal textures in the opening sequence to be a little low toned. Overall a more commanding energy across the board would be needed for the song to work here. I enjoyed listening all the same.
Listener ID # 374
---------------------------------------------------
Listing #Y190515MS
PUBLIC DOMAIN CHRISTMAS SONGS in All Styles with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a successful Music Licensing Company with tons of credits in HIT TV Shows! Send in your well-crafted Covers of Public Domain Christmas Songs that capture the true spirit of the holiday season! Make sure submissions have solid production and a great overall performance.
-------------------------------------------------
Reasons not Forwarded:
Recording ✓
Stylistically Off Target ✓
Music ✓
Other ✓
Unfortunately, your song's music style, & Production, did not have the style & sound that was heard in the noted Artists songs & would not be compatible on playlists that featured these referenced Artists versions of Christmas Classics. Recorded sound also not Broadcast Quality.
Listener ID # 132

---------------------------------------------------

We Three Kings Of Orient Are
https://youtu.be/U3zIV8IySP0

I've been with Taxi for a few years on and off and only once have questioned a critique. Due to the inconsistencies in these three similar listings for the same song, I'm compelled to do so now.

It's curious none of the screeners picked up on the ability of the vocalist to effect a slightly different style for each 'king', but chose instead to criticize the overall tone of the vox. The vocal style has never been compared to the Crash Test Dummies before but I get the resemblance. What I don't get is how being likened to a band that has sold millions of records and won numerous musical awards world-wide would be a detriment to being forwarded. Would a producer/music supervisor be so quick to reject the song solely on the basis of a bass-baritone vocal, even if the referenced songs didn't indicate one? Surely they have to be a little more open-minded than that.

In the most recent critique of the song, one of the reasons the screener gave for not forwarding was because the song wasn't 'Broadcast Quality'. I'll accept the claim it wasn't musically similar to the referenced artists, but I'd have to question the proficiency of any reviewer who believes the song lacks recording quality. The other screeners never had an issue with quality and neither did several in a check of archived reviews of the same song even when broadcast quality was requested.

In 2014, the then titled "Kings of Orient" was selected as a Song of the Year Semi-Finalist. In a Taxi listing last year, the ringtone for "We Three Kings Of Orient Are" was good enough to be forwarded to a music library. Apparently the quality of the recording has diminished since then.

If a screener is going to dismiss an entry, at least have a little consistency based on the requirements, rather than fault-finding that's seemingly attributed to a personal bias. And perhaps it's time to drop the catchy and enticing listing terms like, "the sky is the limit", "re-imagined covers", or "inventive or unique arrangements", if you're not going to employ those parameters.

In any event, it's become apparent that Taxi is not the vehicle that's going to further my musical ambitions. Sayonara.

p.s. @MathieuF re: What is Broadcast Quality for you?

Perhaps listening to a submission forwarded for Listing Y190515MS will give you an idea of the level of broadcast quality you need to strive for in order to be successful. Good luck!

"I Saw Three Ships" - The Boys Ranch
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=71163

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Sat May 25, 2019 11:10 am

MathieuF wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:39 pm
...my friend and producer Antoine Dufour (check him out, amazing fingerstyle guitarist)...
Very cool!! I saw him on tour with Andy McKee and Stephen Bennett a few years ago.. think it was the Guitar Masters tour if I remember correctly. Actually got a signed shirt with all their autographs here somewhere.. anyways, he's great! Caught my eye when I saw his name in this thread.

Your piece sounds wonderful by the way!

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat May 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Here's my 2 cents,

This is the music business...… get used to rejection …. a lot of it. ….. just ask the Beatles.

Tim