Is it good to go back and listen to your old songs?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Hobbins17

Is it good to go back and listen to your old songs?

Post by Hobbins17 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi everybody!
Sorry if this topic has already been posted. I searched but didn't find anything so thought I would ask about it.

Do you think it is a good idea to go back and listen to songs you wrote years ago?

I've been writing songs for years but only started taking it seriously in the past few years, reading books and watching Taxi TV and stuff.
I listened to some of my old songs a few days ago and just thought "What was I thinking?!" :lol: :lol:

I know even now my songs are not hits, but I can definitely see myself improving. I wondered if after listening back to these old songs, I might subconsciously drop back into bad habits or something. I don't want to forget all the great tips or anything I've picked up.
I also have a book full of lyric ideas I had and now I'm wondering if it's a good idea to go back and look at them and make them into songs knowing that this was before I started writing better songs or should I forget about those and focus on entirely new lyrics knowing what I know now... does that even make sense? lol

I don't know if this sounds a little silly but I wondered if going back and listening to old songs might be more destructive to ones development.

What are your thoughts on this?

Leanne
Leanne Hobbins

“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually, the confidence will follow.” - Carrie Fisher

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Is it good to go back and listen to your old songs?

Post by Patrick » Tue May 28, 2019 4:29 am

Hi Leanne,

For me, revisiting an old unfinished work is a bit like trying to get back together with your ex. You quickly realize why you parted ways in the first place. :lol: Having said that though, I've revamped a couple of my older songs I penned in my early 20's, and I'm quite pleased with the results.

I think once you've come up with a clever hook, it's your responsibility to see it through. I know one of my tunes is good when it sits on my shoulder like a little woodpecker tapping on my temple all day...reminding me to get the job done.

I imagine you wrote differently when you were younger and just starting out. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to go back and mine those old lyrics. There might be a nugget or two of gold in them thar hills...an innocence and freshness that needs to be recaptured. Perhaps you were on to something back in the day, but didn't have the musical maturity or skill set to properly finish the work.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd chip in with a thought or two on rekindling older material.
Bad art can make you laugh
Good art can make you think
Great art can destroy you

- Me

(Did he just quote himself?? Yes! Yes I did!)

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Patrick » Tue May 28, 2019 4:53 am

I wrote this for a female lead when i was a younger man. You're a female lyricist. What do you make of this?

Falling to Pieces

I touched the droplets on the pane
You always loved it when it rained
I crossed the hallway once again
And took your picture from the frame

Slowly change, hit the lights
Crawl into bed, hold on tight
And dream about you...without you

I'm falling to pieces, what went wrong I don't know
I'm falling to pieces, finding it hard to let go.

We wrote the last page of our lives
All those words we couldn't hide
So it's the end, it's goodbye
But you can't say we didn't try

Maybe things went too far
And I was no saint, but you played hard
I think about you...without you

I'm falling to pieces, with a love like this
I thought I could never say never
I guess you just never know

(I got stuck right there. I need a bridge to bring it all back home. I'm not done with this ditty. It's just on the backburner while I'm penning other stuff. Thanks for reminding me that it's okay to delve into the past on occasion. You may have just inspired me to finish this song!) :)

- Me

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Tue May 28, 2019 11:22 am

I love cringing at my old stuff. Reminds me about how far I’ve come. :)

Andrew

Hobbins17

Post by Hobbins17 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:14 am

That's great everyone! Thanks for your insights. Maybe it is a good idea to go back and try and breathe some new life into those old ideas.
Maybe those songs are like magikarp... a bit pathetic... but with enough hard work and training, magikarp becomes badass gyarados!!
Then again... maybe I just need to stop playing Pokemon and start working on more songs :lol: :lol:
Leanne Hobbins

“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually, the confidence will follow.” - Carrie Fisher

Hobbins17

Post by Hobbins17 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:20 am

Thanks for your comment!! It's interesting and I've definitely had a few moments where I find myself humming my own songs :lol:
I like the lyrics! I can definitely relate to some of the lines right now. Ha. Love. Anyway, that's beside the point XD
Perhaps you might want to try a collaboration on this song?? :)
Leanne

Patrick wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:53 am
I wrote this for a female lead when i was a younger man. You're a female lyricist. What do you make of this?

Falling to Pieces

I touched the droplets on the pane
You always loved it when it rained
I crossed the hallway once again
And took your picture from the frame

Slowly change, hit the lights
Crawl into bed, hold on tight
And dream about you...without you

I'm falling to pieces, finding it hard to let go.

We wrote the last page of our lives
All those words we couldn't hide
So it's the end, it's goodbye
But you can't say we didn't try

Maybe things went too far
And I was no saint, but you played hard
I think about you...without you

I'm falling to pieces, with a love like this
I thought I could never say never
I guess you just never know

(I got stuck right there. I need a bridge to bring it all back home. I'm not done with this ditty. It's just on the backburner while I'm penning other stuff. Thanks for reminding me that it's okay to delve into the past on occasion. You may have just inspired me to finish this song!) :)
Leanne Hobbins

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Patrick » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi Leanne!

I'd love to work on this track with you. I don't have any recording equipment right now at my disposal, but I could just sing and play the song into my daughter's phone and send it to you via email.

Private message me, or drop your email on this thread (if you're comfortable)...and we'll see where all of this might lead! :)

- Me

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:24 pm

I do listen to old material that I had signed in last years - once in a while. Usually when I am starting a new collection in a vibe that I have written before.

1. To see if I am repeating myself
2. To see what worked (if it’s gotten placed)
3. To reassure myself that I don’t suck as much as I might think (in those dark and challenging days)
4. To see how my hearing / producing / aesthetic taste has changed and improved.
5. Related to #4 - any things that stick out as obvious “seriously! What was I thinking there”.

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 pm

I think its a fine idea, sometimes you will catch things you didn't know you did, or might find an idea that is worth expanding.
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com

Hobbins17

Post by Hobbins17 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:04 am

Patrick wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:25 pm
Hi Leanne!

I'd love to work on this track with you. I don't have any recording equipment right now at my disposal, but I could just sing and play the song into my daughter's phone and send it to you via email.

Private message me, or drop your email on this thread (if you're comfortable)...and we'll see where all of this might lead! :)
Hi Patrick!
Sorry for my late reply, I've been busy packing up and moving to a different country XD haha
I don't mind posting my email on here, but if I start getting dodgy emails coming through, I know who to blame :lol: haha
My email address is: leanne.hobbins@gmail.com

Look forward to working with you!!

Leanne
Leanne Hobbins