Submission Question

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Submission Question

Post by ResonantTone » Wed May 22, 2019 6:09 am

Hey all!

Quick question - Has anyone submitted to a listing and found that they were already working with the library that made the request? How do you avoid a situation like this?

Thanks!
Andrew

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Submission Question

Post by ResonantTone » Wed May 22, 2019 10:09 am

Tom,

Here's the potential problems I'm running in to though:

1) If the listing is from a library I'm already working with, chances are I'm already sending them stuff for that need. It's kind of a waste of time on their end for them to be receiving my music from both sides (taxi, and straight from me).

2) I'm also submitting music at a rate that the $5 submission fee is really starting to add up. If I maintain my current pace, it looks like I'll be surpassing my taxi membership fee just with submission fees. It would be great if I could save $15-$20 here and there if I knew the listing was from a library I'm already in contact with.

CTWF wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am
Now, if you take the listing, produce a track that fits, and go them _not_ through TAXI and before the TAXI deadline, then you are kind of screwing over the rest of us.
What I'm finding is that many times libraries will stay in contact with their composers and reach out when they have a need for something specific.. so it wouldn't really be screwing anyone over at taxi really since they would have most likely already informed their composers. My guess is they go through taxi when their current set of composers aren't getting them enough music to fill the demand, or they are just lookin to add new composers to the team.

Andrew

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 pm

It used to be that if you suspected the listing sounded like your library, that you could call TAXI and ask a question "is it library "A" because I am working with them already?" - and they would give you a yes or no answer on that. That maybe is still a possibility.

Some library owners will give you a heads up if they are running listings as well and some listing text is particular to the library and its focus or deal points.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:42 am

CTWF wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:32 am
ResonantTone wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:09 am
Hey all!
Hi Andrew

Someone asked your question on this week's show at 53:00.

Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmPI_qZi0Io
While that is true, that a library generally won't run the same listing again in a short period of time looking for the same genre, also consider the fact that if you signed with Library A for indie pop tunes, that they MAY BE running a listing shortly for indie rock or future bass tunes.

If those genres are in your wheelhouse then you likely want to submit to your listings and unless your publisher keeps you updated on other genres they may be looking for then you might figure its an unrelated library.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:07 am

Hi Andrew,

This has happened to me time and time again...(I am in a lot of libraries).
I don't avoid the situation.... If the library contacts me after the forward.... I send the track(s) to them....done.

My 2 cents,
Tim

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:46 am

Hi Andrew,

This just happened to me 2 days ago....
This time I asked Taxi, and they said the listing was from a library I already have tracks in.
But, I'll probably submit stuff anyway.... just to see what the screeners say.

My additional 1 cent worth,
Tim

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:30 am

Tim,

Thanks for the input on this. It’s helping me formulate a plan, lol.

Andrew