Feedback on Singer Songwriter, Please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Feedback on Singer Songwriter, Please

Post by LamarPecorino » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 pm

I would love some feedback on the mix for "You Never Said". Conrad and I are hoping to submit it for the following listing. It is due tomorrow evening. If you have other thoughts that you'd like to share, we would enjoy hearing from you.

[/soundcloud]

ACOUSTIC-BASED SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS with Male Vocals are needed for an (up to) $750, NON-Exclusive, Direct-to-Supervisor placement in an Indie Feature Film.

They’re on the hunt for a Song that would work well in place of “Sky Full of Stars” which is currently temped in:

“Sky Full of Stars” by Perrin Lamb

NOTE: The Music Supervisor is NOT looking for clones or soundalikes! Similar tempo, energy, and overall vibe? Yes. Clones? No!

Please submit compelling Singer/Songwriter Songs with engaging melodies, meaningful lyrics, and an emotional, intimate vocal performance. A simple guitar/vocal performance could work for this! A small ensemble could also potentially work as well.

Although the Music Supervisor didn't request a specific lyric theme, lyrics that are topically in (or near) the same general ballpark as the reference might be a good way to go.

Please do NOT copy the referenced artist in any way, shape, or form. Use the reference as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

The license fee for this placement is (up to) $1,000 Canadian ($744.88 U.S.D.), depending on the ultimate usage. This is a Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Copyright and Master Recording, plus you’ll also get 100% of the License Fee and any applicable performance royalties. No Publisher splits. You must own or control your Copyright and Master Recording to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by a TAXI screener and must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, June 12th, 2019. TAXI #Y190612AB
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Feedback on Singer Songwriter, Please

Post by funsongs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi Lamar - my 2 pennies worth... re just this MIX
1) the bass coming in at :34 seems a bit boomy - maybe just back it off a little. (-2db?)
2) the vocal split going left at 1:02 is a tad distracting, and the accompanying split right gives it a very wide feel - which seems odd for vocal.
If the desired FX is a panning, might sound more cohesive if it's the instruments doing a bit of that - and bring the paired vocals in closer to center: like maybe 11 & 1?

I listened at medium and low volume to check my own comments. :? 8-) :)
Hope that helps.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:30 pm

funsongs wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:47 pm
Hi Lamar - my 2 pennies worth... re just this MIX
1) the bass coming in at :34 seems a bit boomy - maybe just back it off a little. (-2db?)
2) the vocal split going left at 1:02 is a tad distracting, and the accompanying split right gives it a very wide feel - which seems odd for vocal.
If the desired FX is a panning, might sound more cohesive if it's the instruments doing a bit of that - and bring the paired vocals in closer to center: like maybe 11 & 1?

I listened at medium and low volume to check my own comments. :? 8-) :)
Hope that helps.
Thanks, Peter. I appreciate your comments. I was concerned about the bass level as well. I'll re-evaluate in the morning. As for the BGV split, I wanted to try out a different approach than a typical 11 and 1 split. However, I don't need it to be distracting. Thanks again for listening. If you have other thoughts beyond the mix, please feel free to share them here or by PM. By the way, this was my first foray into Singer-Songwriter territory. One of the great things about Taxi is that I get to try my hand at new genres.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 pm

The vocal split, to me, was distracting because it went so suddenly from center to left, that I wondered if it was a mistake - like you'd accidentally switched off one side of the stereo mix.
It didn't sound natural, is my point. But, I can understand your wanting to experiment with something different. No risk, no reward. And here, you can get away with it for free. :? :lol:
No Ham, No Fowl. For what it's worth, I listen to the playbacks through my JBL 305 monitors. They're pretty darn honest.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:03 pm

Since they gave only one a la, I would mix my song to sound sonically like the Perrin Lamb tune. Your vocals are treated are way differently so I'd A/B the two tracks and work on the vocal specifically. That will certainly increase your chances with this.

John

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:06 pm

johnlewitt wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:03 pm
Since they gave only one a la, I would mix my song to sound sonically like the Perrin Lamb tune. Your vocals are treated are way differently so I'd A/B the two tracks and work on the vocal specifically. That will certainly increase your chances with this.

John
Thanks for listening and writing, John. We appreciate it!
Onward and upward!
Lamar