Doc Ironbeard: MINIMALISTIC CHILDREN'S INSTRUMENTAL

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CaseyK

Re: Doc Ironbeard: MINIMALISTIC CHILDREN'S INSTRUMENTAL

Post by CaseyK » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Hey Tom!

Thanks for sharing your work in progress! Children's music is not super in my wheelhouse, but I thought I would give you my initial 2 cents anyway. I think your concern about the song's simplicity/ the melody's memorability is not completely unfounded. After the first time through, I was having a hard time recalling exactly what the melody was. However, after listening a second time, the melody came very easily to me. I think maybe the reason it was hard to remember the first time is because of the surrounding instrumentation. It seemed pretty loud to me and I think it distracts from the melody. The bass part (with the I-V movement) was particularly distracting to me. The other piece I might consider is adjusting the volumes of the synth and xylo in the melody. The synth has a tiny bit of pitch bend in the attack and I think for me, that made it difficult initially to grasp the melody.

Apart from that, I think it's great! There is some really creative ear candy in there. I also like how the xylo rolls up to some of the notes. It adds a unique playfulness to the track! Thank you for sharing and I hope this listing goes well for you!

-Casey

CaseyK

Re: Doc Ironbeard: MINIMALISTIC CHILDREN'S INSTRUMENTAL

Post by CaseyK » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:42 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 am
Bombed out again on this one: Screener #416 wrote
Nice job on this, but I think a more simple groove introduced early on, might help this along and lock things in a little better. Then more layers or new voices playing your lead as you progress might really propel this forward a little. Overall, more focus and clarity.... this is also a little long. They were looking for around 2 minutes... so in the future, for a request like this, think shorter, more clear and concise...
Note sure what he/she means by "a little long" - it is 1:59!! I wrote the to headscreener to clarify if that comment really belongs to my track.

Tom
Hey Tom,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the forward :/ I thought the edits you made were fantastic and brought a lot of clarity to the melody. Strange that he thought it was long...good idea checking to see if that was for your cue. Please keep me updated! I'd love to hear if there is anything more on this.

-Casey