What does your library interaction look like?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

What does your library interaction look like?

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Hey all!

Just curious if anyone is able to weigh in on some quick questions for me regarding libraries.

I'm wondering if there is any "status quo" artist/library relationship in regards to what the music submission process looks like. Do you create anything you want, submit, and they sign it immediately? Do they only expect you to submit stuff when there is a brief requesting a certain type of song? Do you submit anything you want and wait for them to vet it and see if they want any of it?

My guess is it probably looks a little different for every artist/library relationship, but I'd love to hear about what has worked well for you, as well as what hasn't!

Thanks!

Andrew

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What does your library interaction look like?

Post by ttully » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:06 am

Hi Andrew,

Every library I work with sends me an email when they want new material.
The emails tell specifically what they are looking for.... many include examples.
I never send anything in without them asking for something first.

I hear from a few libraries 3 or 4 times a year... some maybe 2 times per year....others much less frequently.
And let me add...... they do not accept everything I send in..... just like Taxi...many are rejected.
That has been my experience.....

My 4 cents worth,
Tim

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:31 am

I work with a combination of both. Two libraries send me briefs every month on what they need. Then I have 2 others that I've established a good working relationship in which they allow me to send whatever I think they can use based on what' I see is already available in their catalog.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:11 am

LIbrary 1 - ( via Taxi ) Have to email and see what they are looking for..maybe get the occasional request like twice a year.Never reject anything

Library 2 - ( via Taxi ) Their Artist Portal has briefs and submission system, regular emails ( MailChimp ) , pretty busy..4 different briefs active currently for upcoming shows plus you can send General submissions. They don't accept everything by any means. I would estimate my success rate with them to be around 60%+ ..multiple edit requests as well. But...best hit rate for placements for me so far.

Library 3 - ( via Taxi ) - All done via email with owner, accepts vast majority of tracks submitted but passes on the odd one or two or sometimes asks for changes. One of the tracks they had me change the drums on resulted in a good placement.

Library 4 - ( found myself ) Take about 3 months to review 3 tracks, fairly impersonal and rejected 80% of everything I have submitted but just got a $300 sync fee with them

kyliecouper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kyliecouper » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:34 pm

Library 1: They took about 4 months to upload my original submissions to their website. They only did so after I sent a (very polite) email asking what was happening. I have never had any other contact from them.

Library 2: They put my tracks up on their site within a few hours of me sending them. They send regular emails with briefs for current projects. They have accepted most things I send them, some of which required edits. They are super chatty and great to work with. They even invited me in to meet them in their offices!!! (probably the only music library I will ever come across that is actually based in my city!) They accept general submissions but they only accept a minimum of 5 tracks at a time.