new software

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

new software

Post by ronnie35 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:35 pm

Hello I really want to start creating urban style cues DRamdy what ever. Right now I have an IMAC 10.13.6 WITH 32 G INTEL CORE i7
I also have Native inst Kontakc 10 What i would like are more up to date beats, synths, bass, is splice a good start? I need a list of software.

Thanks, Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: new software

Post by ttully » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:21 am

Hey Ron,

I know there are people that like Splice...
I tried it and did not like it at all.
I couldn't fit their pre made clips into anything.

I'd rather make the stuff from scratch.

My 1 cent worth,
Tim

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks Tim I have Battery 4 on my NI I need to work with that.

Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:28 am

I use Battery 4 alot.... and Omnisphere...and a few for subbass.... I really like Sub Zero.

My sub 2 cents worth,
Tim

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:58 pm

Should be lots in NI Komplete to make beats with, not so much Kontakt by itself. They have sales now in june, so its a good time now to take advantage of it if possible.
Ceo of my own life

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:03 am

Hey Ron,

Splice is probably your best way to get into producing urban cues. You have the sound design worked out for you, more or less, and you can concentrate on composing and programming.

The melodic loops are really good to build off of, as long as you modify them. I agree that you may have a hard time trying to shoehorn them into a cue, but you can make at least some of it fit by rearranging and pitchshifting parts of the loop with something like melodybe (almost every daw has their own version of this).

Study the drum/perc patterns in urban music. There are a lot of recurring base patterns which you can add your variations to. With splice, these drum patterns are all at your disposal as well.

Since a lot of the Splice branded kits are from actual producers with credits in the urban genres (boi 1nda, jazzfeezy, fki), you have access to sounds that are as close to those used in billboard hits, if they’re not the actual samples used.

Hope that helps.
Owen.

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice

Ron

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:54 am

Here is one problem I have with using stuff from Splice....or any 'loop' libraries.

Here are are quotes from some libraries I work with:

'No obvious loops, or pre-canned / out of of the box synth melodies.
We need your ideas to sound as original as possible.'

'No samples, keyboard melodies, or anything "out of the box." We want only original ideas.
Do not use drum loops. We want original songs only.'

One library I work with said if they find any loops in any tracks... 'your tracks will be removed from the library, and you will not be able to submit any more tracks.'

Again, my 2 cents worth,
Tim
Last edited by ttully on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:15 am

I use Splice in conjunction with the Loopcloud plugin so that the sample I got from Splice fits the tempo and the key of my song etc. Probably a matter of time that Splice comes up with something similar.
Cheers,
Matt

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks Matt and Tim
Ron