Uplifting Pop Instrumental

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Uplifting Pop Instrumental

Post by johndalenow » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:40 pm

I listened particularly to the first example. Should I overdub "live" guitar, substitute some nice synth or what instead?

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... 19-1027-pm

EMOTIONALLY UPLIFTING POP/ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a NON-Exclusive, Music Supervisor-owned Library with a huge number of TV placements.

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that would fall within the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

Positive Pop Rock Background Music

Upbeat and Happy Pop/Rock Background

Submit well-composed Pop/Rock Instrumentals that have a positive, feel-good vibe. Your submissions should have fun, catchy melodies, engaging rhythms, and typical Rock Band instrumentation. If you’re going to be using samples or Virtual Instruments, please make sure they sound convincing and real. Please avoid using any Instruments that sound stiff or MIDI-driven. Poor-sounding samples or synthetic-sounding instruments of any kind will not be considered.

QUOTING THE CLIENT: "I'm looking for uplifting and happy-sounding material. These could be played under victorious moments in a reality competition show, to driving down the highway with the top down in your car on a sunny day. Should be a full rhythm section with either guitar, bass, drum (and possibly keyboards and/or synths.) If synthesizers are used, they must sound as authentic as possible and not too synthetic or they will not be considered. Same with any kind of electronic percussion or bass elements."

All submissions should be between 1:30 and 2:30 in length (give or take) with Non-Faded, Button/Stinger endings. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal. This Music Library splits ALL sync fees 50/50 with you. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, July 8th, 2019. TAXI #Y190708PR

rockinrob
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Uplifting Pop Instrumental

Post by rockinrob » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:14 am

I love the vibe.!..IMO i think you could realize more climactic motion upward if you would build the drums up and use them as variation too. Great track.

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Definitely needs live guitar, or some instrument that vibes the way the Edge inspired tempo-delay tracks feel on the reference tracks. I think there's some other areas to look at:
- drum sounds. The ref-track has an acoustic sounding kit hit pretty hard with compression and some sheen, yours sound pretty synthetic.
- similarly the synth sounds aren't very realistic, the voice that comes in at :40sec is an example.
- overall the track lacks dynamics and punch, and there isn't enough lift between the sparse and 'rock out' sections.

I think you've got a good framework with melodies and arrangement that can get you there, the sonics and production to my ears are in need of some help.
Hope this is helpful.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:49 pm

teleblaster wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pm
Definitely needs live guitar, or some instrument that vibes the way the Edge inspired tempo-delay tracks feel on the reference tracks. I think there's some other areas to look at:
- drum sounds. The ref-track has an acoustic sounding kit hit pretty hard with compression and some sheen, yours sound pretty synthetic.
- similarly the synth sounds aren't very realistic, the voice that comes in at :40sec is an example.
- overall the track lacks dynamics and punch, and there isn't enough lift between the sparse and 'rock out' sections.

I think you've got a good framework with melodies and arrangement that can get you there, the sonics and production to my ears are in need of some help.
Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for the help. Can you explain what it means when people talk about synth sounds as being realistic. Since, by definition, a synth is synthetic as opposed to acoustic or realistic, I don't understand what is mean't when someone refers to a synth sound as NOT being realistic enough. I've heard this stated several times. Any insight you can share would be appreciated.

Best!

John

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:15 pm

JDM wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:49 pm
teleblaster wrote:

Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for the help. Can you explain what it means when people talk about synth sounds as being realistic. Since, by definition, a synth is synthetic as opposed to acoustic or realistic, I don't understand what is mean't when someone refers to a synth sound as NOT being realistic enough. I've heard this stated several times. Any insight you can share would be appreciated.

Best!

John
Sorry for the confusion. I should have been more clear. To the extent that a synth (or more accurately a sampler or virtual instrument) is playing something that represents a 'real' instrument there's a pretty high bar in the business for realism. It's a matter of getting the right libraries and producing things well. Hope this helps.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:19 pm

teleblaster wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:15 pm
JDM wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:49 pm
teleblaster wrote:

Hope this is helpful.

Best!

John
Sorry for the confusion. I should have been more clear. To the extent that a synth (or more accurately a sampler or virtual instrument) is playing something that represents a 'real' instrument there's a pretty high bar in the business for realism. It's a matter of getting the right libraries and producing things well. Hope this helps.
Erich,

Thanks for the clarification. That clears up a lot.

John