with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ricschmitz
Active
Active

Realistic piano sound

Post by ricschmitz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Hello everyone ,

I record a lot of piano instrumentals , but unfortunately I can only work with garageband . The "Steinway piano" is not working for me. It doesn't matter how I chnge settings , I'm not happy with the final sound.
Anyone knows any free software, that can be aded to garaggeband with good, realistic piano sound ? Is that question even "realistic" ?

Thank you.

Ricardo

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Realistic piano sound

Post by andygabrys » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pm

two options:

buy Logic X for $199 which comes with more piano sounds and have a much more fully featured DAW that will open all your Garage Band Projects and give you a lot more.

or buy a third party piano plugin of which there are likely hundreds. Garage Band can use Audio Units format third party instrument plugins same as Logic.

Native Instruments has about 10 different ones
SampleTek has many
Ivory
Addictive Keys
East West Pianos
and so on.

A google search would find you many options - going to the manufacturer's websites would give you an idea of their sound and capability.

Most pianos that come with DAW including the Steinway in Garage Band are good enough to get forwards and be heard on TV - most of the trick is learning how to produce and mix them. Realistic is relative to what you are trying to achieve and your mixing and production skill.

Good luck!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm

https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

neilmctavish
Active
Active

Post by neilmctavish » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:56 am

Great points from everyone so far. I would also add that it depends what you are using the piano for. Are you going to be playing solo piano music or putting it in a busy mix. I have Ivory and I love it. But I have to eq the crap out of it to really thin it out for a busy mix and really then, at that point, you might as well have used a piano that came with your DAW. Pianos are so huge sonically.

I remember Ronan playing me some classic Elton John tracks to demonstrate this for me. Eye opening.

ricschmitz
Active
Active

Post by ricschmitz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:20 am

Thank you everyone for your advice !
I really appreciate it.