Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Carribean Cue

Post by pveniot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:29 am

Hi all,
This is my pitch for a Carribaen Cue Dispatch listing D190629CB

CARIBBEAN INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a U.K.-based Music Library that loves music from TAXI Members! They've signed a lot of our members and now they’re looking for a bunch of Mid-To-Up-Tempo Caribbean Cues in the stylistic range of the references below:

Island Reggae Music | Jamaican Beach

Caribbean Music Instrumental - Coral Reef

Chill Out Reggae Island Music

Please submit well-composed Instrumental Cues that evoke an authentic, Caribbean sound and a tropical island vibe. Create your Cue with bright melodies and rhythmic drum patterns, similar to what's often heard in this genre.

Working on the mix, should I add a flute on the melody?

https://soundcloud.com/pierre-veniot/chomp-reggae

Thx for your input and comments

Pierre
:D Music is the Esperanto of the world. (Duke Ellington)

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Carribean Cue

Post by pveniot » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:59 pm

CTWF wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:50 pm
Hi Pierre,

I don't know this genre, but listened anyway... :) My immediate impression was that the bass that starts at 0:03 is too boomy (too dominant?) which might be caused by too much reverb. I have no clue what the references sound like, but that was what I thought/felt. It definitely has a chill feel to it, but that bass sometimes gets in the way of it. The end is cut off (reverb tail). Other than that, I better do not comment for lack of knowledge of the genre! :)

Tom
Thx again Tom, I know what you mean, this has since been corrected by Izotope...
See you at the Rally?

Pierre

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Not sure if I would add a flute or not. I'd probably concentrate on the bed tracks before adding more layers.
- The bass is a great line, but feels to me like it could use some variations, nothing crazy, but my best recollections of reggae is that there's a bit of freedom within a motif for the bass parts
- The drums feel like they could use more life and punch. The rolls that start at about :28sec and appear in multiple places are an example. They're really high pitched and really soft; are they timbales or rack toms or?

I'm shooting from the hip for both of the items above. Having a reference track to compare with would be super helpful.

Cool piece with a nice light vibe. I think you're in the zone but maybe take a look at some references and use them to guide your next steps.

HTH
Erich

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Hello I like the song in fact I sort of see what Tom was talking about with the Bass line but, I believe I know what you were going for . That Reggae whoooy bass.
I wish I could also say I was going to the Rally. Can't make it new job

Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:41 am

teleblaster wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:26 pm
Not sure if I would add a flute or not. I'd probably concentrate on the bed tracks before adding more layers.
- The bass is a great line, but feels to me like it could use some variations, nothing crazy, but my best recollections of reggae is that there's a bit of freedom within a motif for the bass parts
- The drums feel like they could use more life and punch. The rolls that start at about :28sec and appear in multiple places are an example. They're really high pitched and really soft; are they timbales or rack toms or?

I'm shooting from the hip for both of the items above. Having a reference track to compare with would be super helpful.

Cool piece with a nice light vibe. I think you're in the zone but maybe take a look at some references and use them to guide your next steps.

HTH
Erich
Thx Erich, always valuable when you have input from people who know the Reggae feel.
That's my pitch... no flute, but cheap organ, and cheap wahwah guitar... that's what I felt...
There are no Timbales, it's a Dumbek...
In any case... it is already sent...
But will keep for future reference.

See ya' man!

Pierre

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:47 am

ronnie35 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 pm
Hello I like the song in fact I sort of see what Tom was talking about with the Bass line but, I believe I know what you were going for . That Reggae whoooy bass.
I wish I could also say I was going to the Rally. Can't make it new job

Ron
Many thx man! Reggae is ALL about the bass line, mostly...
Which I had Peter Tosh or Bob Marley to help on this!

See you later man!
All the best for your new job.

Pierre.