Is it good to go back and listen to your old songs?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Hobbins17

Re: Is it good to go back and listen to your old songs?

Post by Hobbins17 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:07 am

andygabrys wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:24 pm
I do listen to old material that I had signed in last years - once in a while. Usually when I am starting a new collection in a vibe that I have written before.

1. To see if I am repeating myself
2. To see what worked (if it’s gotten placed)
3. To reassure myself that I don’t suck as much as I might think (in those dark and challenging days)
4. To see how my hearing / producing / aesthetic taste has changed and improved.
5. Related to #4 - any things that stick out as obvious “seriously! What was I thinking there”.
Thank you for your reply!
These points are really good!! I didn't even think about wondering if I might be repeating myself! That's a really good point to consider :D
I found these points really helpful! Thanks again :)

Leanne
Leanne Hobbins

“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually, the confidence will follow.” - Carrie Fisher

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:39 am

I once went back to a song I had written 14 years ago. I thought it was pretty good, but it needed to be slightly rewritten. I submitted the new version to a country song contest and won 2nd place and a thousand dollars. SO..I would say yes, take a look at some of your older stuff, because that was when maybe you wrote for the pure joy of it without restraints . If you want to hear the song , it is called " There's A Cowboy In The Convent " on my Taxi page. There's gold in them thar drawers lol!

Tom

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:52 am

Never go back.

Unless it got you a placement. Then listen to it like 20 times and bask in your own glory.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:36 am

I occasionally mine my back catalog for gold, and not just failed songs but failed mixes, too. It's a comfort to hear my progress, and often letting a song lie fallow leads to greater insight through the lens of experience.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone