Impressive
Impressive

CONTEMPORARY INDIE POP/ROCK INSTRUMENTAL

Post by Anders » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:51 am

Hi,

Any comments on this indie pop track that I’m working on would be most welcome:
https://soundcloud.com/akysound/not-a-care/s-Q4TkZ

…for this listing:
CONTEMPORARY INDIE POP/ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a really good boutique Music Library for placements in a popular Reality TV Show on MTV.
They’re looking for Mid-To-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the stylistic ballpark of the references below (which we got from the company):
“Talk Too Much” by COIN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWxM_zLJGsU
“Timebomb” by WALK THE MOON
Although the references above have vocals, this pitch is for Instrumental Cues only.
Please send them well-crafted Instrumental Cues that are in the general vibe and style of the references above, with the kind of instrumentation that you’d typically hear in the Indie Pop/Rock genre. Build your Cues around central melodic ideas, while adding and subtracting instrumentation as they progress to add dynamics and a sense of forward momentum. Please avoid guitar solos, or anything that’s frenetic or overpowering, as it could distract from a scene’s dialog.
Your submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long (give or take) with Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings.

Thanks!
/Anders

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Re: CONTEMPORARY INDIE POP/ROCK INSTRUMENTAL

Post by jdkotaska » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:26 am

I think you nailed it... but... maybe its a bit too similar to the reference material? :?

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Way too similar to the reference IMO. Bassline is a direct lift rhythmically. You didn't even change the key.. :shock:

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Anders » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Thank you for taking time to listen and comment, I really appreciate it!

So I started this one deliberately in the same key + bpm as a reference track which I think is pretty common.
I also aimed for a similar guitar sound however there is not a single chord progression that is the same as the reference.
Rhythmically it’s simliar but I really don’t think it’s too close.
Now, when 2 persons are saying the same thing it would be stupid of me not to reconsider, I could of course be wrong here.

It would be super interesting and helpful if someone else would give an extra opinion on this…perhaps even someone from Taxi?
Is this too close to the reference track?

Thanks!
/Anders

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:19 am

Anders wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:14 pm
Thank you for taking time to listen and comment, I really appreciate it!

So I started this one deliberately in the same key + bpm as a reference track which I think is pretty common.
I also aimed for a similar guitar sound however there is not a single chord progression that is the same as the reference.
Rhythmically it’s simliar but I really don’t think it’s too close.
Now, when 2 persons are saying the same thing it would be stupid of me not to reconsider, I could of course be wrong here.

It would be super interesting and helpful if someone else would give an extra opinion on this…perhaps even someone from Taxi?
Is this too close to the reference track?

Thanks!
/Anders
Hey Anders,

There are definitely ways to stick close to the reference while still making it sound completely original. If you’re intending to stay in the same key, maybe don’t start on the “one chord”. Especially if you’re planning to keep the bass line rhythm the way it is now.

I know your chord progression is different, but rhythmically the melodic components feel the same.

IMO if two people are saying similar things, it’s probably something you want to look into.

If you really still aren’t convinced by the feedback myself and others have left, keep this track the same way, but maybe try writing another one for this listing with our feedback in mind and submit them both!

Good luck!
Harper

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Anders » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:04 am

Thank you Harper,

I do appreciate your honest feedback, extra unbiased ears are really invaluable and that’s why this forum is so awesome.
It´s easy to get tunnel vision when it comes to your own tracks.
This is the first time I practiced the strategy of really paying attention to the song structure of a particular reference track in advance.
Earlier, I have always gone by feel which often lead to me drifting away from what is requested.

I hate being stubborn about this but listening back critically I do still feel that my track falls clearly under ”general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe.”,
in fact I just sent an email to Taxi, asking if they would take listen. I know that’s a long shot but I wanted to at least ask, to me it would mean a lot for future submissions.

Either way, I’ll be sure to change up the base rhythmics before I send it in (possibly even changing the ”one chord”, which is a good idea!), it really is the worst feeling to risk sounding like a clone

Then I need to move on to the next listing…

Thanks again for your time
/Anders

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:38 am

I think you nailed the vibe and with some added elements as it goes along you can make it stronger and steer it further away from the reference track. Needs a little more "sheen" like the ref track has and i would end it on the tonic, that's always good practice with production music.

Good luck!

EO

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Anders » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:11 pm

I think you nailed the vibe and with some added elements as it goes along you can make it stronger and steer it further away from the reference track. Needs a little more "sheen" like the ref track has and i would end it on the tonic, that's always good practice with production music.

Good luck!

EO
Thank you EO!

Those are great suggestions, I will take some time to tweak it a little. Likely it will be ready just in time for the deadline as always :)
Yeah, another harmony or counter melody of some sort might be just what this track needs.
...and I agree, the ending just sounds cut of now, I will try to fix that, Thanks!

btw, I visited your website. Congrats on that Better things -placement, awesome track!

/Anders

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Cheers Anders!