QR Codes Instead of CDs and Thumbdrives

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

QR Codes Instead of CDs and Thumbdrives

Post by gregorym » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:04 pm

Does anybody use QR codes instead of CD's and thumb drives to share their music with publishers and music libraries?

For those not familiar with QR codes, they are a printed code, like a bar code that can be read with a reader. Supposedly, iPhone has installed a native QR code reader. I imagine Android might do the same. Basically, the QR code can point a browser to a link on the web. So, the user just needs to scan the code and bingo, your playlist is playing with your greatest work.

I can see some folks are set in there ways and may prefer CD's only at the Road Rally. That's cool. Of course, some folks may welcome a lighter, smaller, eco-friendly way of checking out music.

Any one have thoughts about this? Tried it? Did it work? If not, what was the stopper?

Thanks,
Greg

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: QR Codes Instead of CDs and Thumbdrives

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:07 am

gregorym wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:04 pm
iPhone has installed a native QR code reader. I imagine Android might do the same.
There's no native QR code App built into Android. For anyone that wants to listen to your music It''s just another hoop to jump through IMHO and you want as few of those as possible

Whilst I agree physical media is on the wane you're probably better off just giving out business cards with the URL to your website containing something like a ReelCrafter demo reel , otherwise you are putting obstacles in the way.

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:52 am

CTWF wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:28 am
Will you hand out the printed QR like a business card, or will you expect your conversation partner to instantly scan the one you show to him?

If it is a business card thing, then this seems to me one of the best ways of directing people quickly to your music while leaving behind a physical "memo" (card).

Tom
I was thinking of printing the QR for the playlist on the front side of a business card, along with the url and my name. On the back side, could be the QR code for contact information, as well as the printed contact information. If I remember correctly, an open contact format would read in all your contact information from the QR code right into the phone.

Perhaps I'll make a mockup of the card and post here. I'll put relevant urls and contact info to see how it works. QR codes were popular about 5 or 6 years ago, but then they waned. However, I hear they are coming back. It would probably be a year or two before people know how to use them.

I hope that answers your question, Tom. I sometimes run on and run about things. My bad :)

Thanks,
Greg

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:02 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:07 am
gregorym wrote:
iPhone has installed a native QR code reader. I imagine Android might do the same.
There's no native QR code App built into Android. For anyone that wants to listen to your music It''s just another hoop to jump through IMHO and you want as few of those as possible

Whilst I agree physical media is on the wane you're probably better off just giving out business cards with the URL to your website containing something like a ReelCrafter demo reel , otherwise you are putting obstacles in the way.
You touch on a very important point: obstacles. Even with the reader built in, people have to open the app that reads the code, point and wait for the reader to work. If only the phone was smarter. Probably won't happen. Thanks cosmic.

Later,
Greg

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:00 am

gregorym wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:02 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:07 am
gregorym wrote:

You touch on a very important point: obstacles. Even with the reader built in, people have to open the app that reads the code, point and wait for the reader to work. If only the phone was smarter. Probably won't happen. Thanks cosmic.

Later,
Greg
I guess if it's an optional way to access the material and not the ONLY way then it could be a novelty to have it on there.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:37 am

CDs are probably the safest. Why risk hacking with a thumbdrive or QR code? A website link is probably the next safest.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:07 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:00 am
I guess if it's an optional way to access the material and not the ONLY way then it could be a novelty to have it on there.
Absolutely, ALL information in the QR needs to be printed on the business card as well.

I made a mockup of a business card with QR code as well as the usual printed information. I couldn't upload the file because it was in eps, and when I tried to convert it to jpg, the file was too big. I could put it on my drive for anyone who wants to see what one looks like. QR codes aren't pretty. As they say, form follows function. I must admit, I downloaded a reader and tried my contact information as a vCard. It populated all the fields in my phone in the contacts and the only thing I needed to do was press save. It was a beautiful thing.

Thanks consmic,
Greg

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:33 am

CTWF wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:21 pm
Len911 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:37 am
CDs are probably the safest.
I am not a tech guy, but our computers at home do not have CD/DVD drives anymore, however, we do have a couple of audio CD-players from decades ago. Question: Do you mean an audio or a data CD?
Apple quit installing optical drives circa 2012-13

I think the only ones I have now are on the kids games consoles, but they are even doing away with them in the next generation

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:13 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:33 am
CTWF wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:21 pm
Len911 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:37 am
CDs are probably the safest.
I am not a tech guy, but our computers at home do not have CD/DVD drives anymore, however, we do have a couple of audio CD-players from decades ago. Question: Do you mean an audio or a data CD?
Apple quit installing optical drives circa 2012-13

I think the only ones I have now are on the kids games consoles, but they are even doing away with them in the next generation
:lol: I see where this is going, into the clouds. https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-e ... lypse-drm/
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:28 am

If we're talking about sharing when meeting in person, things are quickly evolving and already have evolved. CDs used to be very convenient because people like to listen in their cars. But newer cars don't have CD players anymore. Thumb Drives are too risky as a virus can wipe someone's computer. QR codes will work for some, but not for others.

If you go to a convention such as the rally, I would recommend still bringing some CDs in case you are asked for one (but only if asked). Also, have business cards with links to your website, soundcloud page, or other (e.g. Disco, Box, whatever you use). No harm in having QR codes on your business cards.

But thing BIGGER point. The more important thing is the relationship. Get to know someone enough such that you can follow up later with an emailed link. Meeting in a more casual situation such as the bar, restaurant, elevator, etc. can be best. Don't even talk about yourself and your music. Meet someone as if they were any other person at a party. Let them decide if they want to ask you about your music. The worst thing is to throw yourself at someone. Personally I never run up to panelists after a ballroom session and hand them a CD. Most of those CDs will get trashed unless they have a strong reason to be interested. I may have digressed a bit here.

Bottom line... Have CDs and business cards with links and QR codes with you.

Best
:D Casey