Indie Rock - in the ballpark?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Indie Rock - in the ballpark?

Post by JohnnyP » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Hey folks, I have a song I'd love a second opinion on. It's not exactly what they're asking for in this listing but it's in that "advertising realm" . Also was wondering if the low octave forment voice in the chorus is distracting or makes it different in a cool way. (this is not a final mix) Thanks for your help!

https://soundcloud.com/jp-pearson-1/wha ... 02/s-2jgOO

INDIE POP/ROCK SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a very active and fast-growing Music Library that specializes in pitching primarily to Advertising Agencies.

This company just started requesting music from TAXI's members, so chances are you don’t have any material in their catalog yet, and this is a great time to build a relationship with them!

They're looking for Mid-To-Up-Tempo Songs that could fit in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references we got from the company:

“HandClap” by Fitz And The Tantrums

“123456” by Fitz And The Tantrums

Please submit commercial-sounding Pop/Rock Songs that are well structured and that color a little bit outside the lines. Your submissions should be rhythmically and melodically appealing, with authentic-sounding Rock Band instrumentation and some electronic elements spread throughout. Your vocal performances should have plenty of personality and a ton of Indie swagger.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Indie Rock - in the ballpark?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:13 am

I like your song but I don't get the same vibe from it as the two Fitz & The Tantrums tracks ...they are clearly electronic drums with synths. I don't hear any of the " authentic-sounding Rock Band instrumentation " mentioned in the listing so it's confusing.

Fitz & The Tantrums Wiki page says...Musical style

Fitzpatrick has said that the band's musical style can be fairly described as "soul-influenced indie pop." He noted that while the band is influenced by the classic songs of the Motown and Stax record labels, the band is not trying to create an exact replica of that music.[17] In another interview, Fitzpatrick talked about his decision to not use guitars in the band. "[highlight]I did want to try and make a big sounding record without guitars," he said. "For me, I just feel like in any music that has a band, the guitar is always there, it's always featured, it's always prevalent. I'm just sick of hearing it."[/highlight][18]

So take from that what you will - I think it's the wrong arrangement style for the listing but the song itself would work with a more modern production.

Mark

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:21 am

Thanks Mark.
Yeah I too was confused with the wording of the listing.

Indie rock instrumentation typically includes a guitar or two.. and I’ve had some pretty decent luck with this particular template.

To your point I think I’ll just save this one for a listing that has references that are closer to a “typical” indie rock band and actually have guitars.
Thanks for your input. John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:18 am

I found these references:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2V6yjjPbX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSoqC6ERnYA

Great track. Nice job filling the space with lots of elements that thicken but don't detract from the groove. I agree that your track feels more 'organic' than the reference tracks. I think the phrase in the specification, 'some electronic elements spread throughout...' might be the piece that your track is missing for this listing. Is it possible to create an alt mix with an electronic kit and bass? HTH

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 am

teleblaster wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:18 am
I found these references:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2V6yjjPbX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSoqC6ERnYA
Is it possible to create an alt mix with an electronic kit and bass? HTH
That's what I would try

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks guys I was going g to try the electronic route with the bass and drums but... I emailed Taxi about the lasting and they said this;

“Pay attention to the references first and foremost, in this case. The refs came from the client and the arrangement in your song should aim to be somewhat stylistically similar. Guitars are not the focus here, that's true (although there are guitars on those tracks). The drums / bass combination in the refs would be a good place for you to look for the "rock" qualities. “

So....the drums and bass are what I was going to make more electronic, but if I’m reading this right they’re saying the drums and bass being more rock/organic is what I should g for?
I’ll have to reread all this when I get home to see what I’m missing. Anyway thanks again guys for the input. John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:02 am

Well go figure. I decided at the last minute (in spite of my "better judgement") to submit the song as is with no changes at all and it was forwarded. The screener did say he'd like the production more "polished" but he/she loved the hook. Everything is so subjective..

I must have deleted the track from s cloud. here's the correct link.

https://soundcloud.com/jp-pearson-1/what-i-like/s-oUjWw
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Congrats..Listing - References and resulting Forward have confused me but I've been confused before :D

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:40 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:35 pm
Congrats..Listing - References and resulting Forward have confused me but I've been confused before :D
Thanks man. Yeah I still have t figured out the algorithm...😂
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com