Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by Razor7Music » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:48 pm

davidira wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:40 am
I get red light suck syndrome. Working on a track - trying me best to edit the 'suck' out of my performance. Surrendered - gonna go back and do it right. Wrong at the source - wrong everywhere else. I don't get it - simple lines that I would have no problem playing live and singing over - then when I review the recording (which I thought was OK at time of take) - it just plain sucks!
Wow, buddy. That sounds pretty sad. Are you sure they're as bad as you think? It's often hard if not impossible to perform, write, record, etc. the way we imagine in our heads. I've heard countless artists say some of their least favorite songs are their most popular. Not exactly what you're saying, but it illustrates my point. Having someone else, impartial (not a relative or friend) listen to your work and give you constructive feedback is worth its weight in gold. I'd be glad to listen to some of your work and let you know what I think.

Of course, if you're told that your impressions are correct, then do the usual. Practice more, take more lessons and oh, this is equally important, get to know the editing software that is out there that fixes pitch, timing, and become familiar with 'comping'. Works like a charm.

Keep going!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:54 pm

Isn't "red light syndrome" just a face-saving name for perfectionism? You can google the psychology and the origins.

the definition, " where a person has musical talent", ( it's understood that they are "skilled" or perfect) 8-) ... though basically have panic attacks, or doubts that they are?

hmm
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:46 pm

Len911 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:54 pm
Isn't "red light syndrome" just a face-saving name for perfectionism? You can google the psychology and the origins.

the definition, " where a person has musical talent", ( it's understood that they are "skilled" or perfect) 8-) ... though basically have panic attacks, or doubts that they are?

hmm
Interesting thought, Len. Good to hear from ya! I think it's human nature. I believe televised game shows thrive on this human frailty in that once the lights, camera, audience, time-limits and competition are thrown at them, even the easiest questions can allude them. Think of how many times you knew the answer to a question while sitting peacefully in your living room. Think about how many amazing rookie quarterbacks choke when they get out on the field in a real game. I agree, it's psychological.

I think the more we record and try to ignore the 'red light' the better we get at ignoring the red light. I do have to say though, there have been many a practice session where the engineer secretly hits the record button because from their experience, they know some of the best performances are when the artist doesn't know they're being recorded--regardless of the experience of the artist. Something to think about too.

Cheers buddy
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:04 pm

This is a more interesting topic than I woulda thought, at first glance. I think everybody is somewhat subject to red light fever, but the two biggest variables are deadline and budget. Working against either of the above raises the stakes for all concerned, but different players react differently; there's a point where a producer has to balance inspiration against fatigue, when trying to capture lightning in a bottle.

For example, there are a few drummers that have such a motor that the 115th take is as fresh, powerful and brilliant as the second or third. Matt Sorum, Kenny Aaronoff and a few others are in that league, certainly some bassists and guitarists are up to that standard, but I'd be hard-pressed to think of a singer, nor a horn or wind player with that sort of stamina. Core conditioning is a mother, when your livelihood depends on your diaphragm.

Vocalists and soloists, in particular are subject to the yips that can result from being under the gun. I mean if I literally had a gun pointed at my head, and yes, I've had that happen IRL, (just not in a studio, thankfully) if you pointed that gun and said, "Sing!", I'd do great, now, but forty years ago, you might as well have pulled the trigger; you'd have gotten about as useful a performance. I think this is why it's so important to go out and play gigs, where there's no do-overs, pardon the grammar. The confidence required can only be born of experience, unless you're so blessed with ego as to make up the difference, which has its own pitfalls.

The real trick for a producer is to get a peak performance from everyone in the room, and hopefully at the same time, and if you don't? Thank God someone invented editing.
Last edited by mojobone on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:26 am

I definitely have red light syndrom but I've found a way to trick myself when recording midi parts. I simply 'practice' playing whatever it is I want to record and when I think it was a good 'take' I hit Shift-R in my DAW, which captures the recording even though the 'red light' was not on. Unfortunately, 'capture recording' does not seem to work with audio.
Cheers,
Matt