Metadata filled already when submitting to listing?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Metadata filled already when submitting to listing?

Post by arska » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi,

I think I heard in Taxi TV comment from Michael about importance of filling meta data but just wanted to confirm one thing: I've never filled metadata on the MP3 files that I submit to a listing. But should I ?

Taxi will forward my contact details anyway to requester but do you fill also metadata in MP3 file also?

And happy independence day to al U.S members!

-Arto

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Metadata filled already when submitting to listing?

Post by cassmcentee » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:25 am

It is wise to always add your Meta-Data!
Make it a habit
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks for a hint... I will update it in future. I remember contacting once Taxi about this, like 1.5 years ago. Back then I was replied that there is no need for that as Taxi would do that when they submit to requester. But I think will change my habit...

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:09 am

Hey Arto!

I think it might be good to clarify a few things here, just in case someone new reads this thread. (I got confused about this when I first got started) Someone please chime in if I got something wrong.

There seems to be two common uses of the term Metadata around here.. though they are similar, they are not exactly the same in each context. The first one is 1) Metadata used for embedding in an MP3 file, and 2) Metadata as it relates to the needs of a music library.

In both contexts, metadata refers simply to information about the track itself that someone has assigned to it. That's the universal definition. Here's how the two contexts differ though:

Metadata for an MP3 - Information from the composer embedded into the MP3 file to help identify the original composer and provide contact info (name, email, phone number, website, etc). The sole purpose of doing this is that if by some small chance your MP3 gets sent out and the person that wants to use it somehow lost your contact info from Taxi, they could see it in the file itself. I think others around here have stated that the chances of this happening are pretty slim, but it's still a good practice to have just in case. You can add metadata to MP3's pretty easily using something like iTunes.

Metadata for a library - This refers to information requested from a library regarding the specifics of a track. Just about every library I work with has a different method for obtaining the info, as well as asks for different things. Some of these things include: Genre, sub-genre, bpm, keywords, moods, description, instruments used, etc. Some libraries have you fill out a spreadsheet, others simply want you to type it up in an email, while others have you fill it all out on a form on their website. The purpose of all this info is so that the track can be categorize and organized within their system and accessible for the end user.

Hope that helps someone that might be learning about all this!

Andrew

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:02 am

ResonantTone wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:09 am
Metadata for an MP3 - Information from the composer embedded into the MP3 file to help identify the original composer and provide contact info (name, email, phone number, website, etc). The sole purpose of doing this is that if by some small chance your MP3 gets sent out and the person that wants to use it somehow lost your contact info from Taxi, they could see it in the file itself. I think others around here have stated that the chances of this happening are pretty slim, but it's still a good practice to have just in case. You can add metadata to MP3's pretty easily using something like iTunes.
Thanks for your comment also. Yes, those library managers are busy persons, it's easy to forget & lost things. Let's make it a new normal to update metadata in MP3 =)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:33 am

ResonantTone wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:09 am
Exactly! Well said. Also, if your are a Windows PC user, you can simply right click on the mp3 file name and fill in those fields. It's so quick and easy. Name, email address, phone number at the minimum. I've gotten in the habit of putting my email address in the album name field because that field shows up on many players. My name goes in the artist and 'album artist' fields and I put my phone number in the comments field.

Best,
:D Casey

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 8098 times