Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Spanish HipHop!

Post by pveniot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:38 pm

Hi, want to submit to:

Y190718ST
The Publisher is eager to find Mid-to-Up-Tempo Hip-Hop/Dance Instrumentals he can pitch directly to the Music Supervisor of this big budget film. They're looking for something in the general stylistic ballpark of the following reference we got directly from our client:

“Por la Noche” by Mala Rodríguez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvNi7hYzz8

NOTE: The film's Music Supervisor likes “Por la Noche” as an example of what could stylistically work in this Film. They are not looking for clones, copies or soundalikes, but they’d love to find something that captures a modern vibe and feel mixed with a heavy Latin/Spanish influence. For this request, the reference track is more of an example than a rule!
Quoting our client: “We're looking for something Hip, with a cool Contemporary beat. Your Instrumentals can be a hybrid of Hip-Hop or Dance/EDM, but they have to have something that brings out the Spanish elements of this film, and maybe even crosses a bit into the Flamenco side of the spectrum.”
Give them well-crafted, full-length Instrumentals that would stylistically fit in with the vibe of the reference above. Your submissions should have a noticeable Latin/Spanish sound, combined with contemporary Hip-Hop or Dance instrumentation, engineering, and production techniques.

Here is my first draft...
Comments appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/pierre-veniot/flame-and-co
MAny Thx again

Pierre
:D Music is the Esperanto of the world. (Duke Ellington)

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Spanish HipHop!

Post by pveniot » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:40 pm

CTWF wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:33 am
pveniot wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:38 pm
Hi, want to submit to:

Y190718ST
Hi Pierre, this is a very cool and interesting hybrid piece!

At the moment, I think it still is too far on the Flamenco side of things for this listing (in comparison to the reference). For instance, what follows directly from 0:43 on is too classical in my opinion (for that it is that far into the track and not just a short intro, say).

I would try to make the percussion more prominent, as in: maybe a prominent/hard & regular snare? Maybe going for a more Hip-Hop/Trap 808-sound for the bass/subbass (instead of the electric bass that I seem to hear), i.e. percussion and (sub-)bass or kick drum I would try to push more towards the modern Hip-Hop/Dance side of things, if that makes any sense. For instance, what comes directly after 1:05 could be more (or "purer") Hip-Hop/Trap.

Disclaimer: No expert whatsoever in this genre (if it even is one...)! :) I hope a true Hip-Hop expert will chime in as well. Obviously a tricky listing with only one reference.
Tom
Thx Tom.
Comments appreciated, I'm no expert in HipHop... but I like ethnic music... flamenco included...
Here's a second draft.

https://soundcloud.com/pierre-veniot/flame-and-co-1

Pierre

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:40 pm

New draft for those interested...

https://soundcloud.com/pierre-veniot/flame-and-co-1

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:47 am

Some nice Spanish sounding parts on there - I like the piano and guitar but the backing track doesn't really sound Hip Hop - the drums are just not strong / punchy or enough, the 808 bass can probably stay in the lower register and that vocal type synth that plays from the start I would probably lose as it makes it sound dated.

If you had a stonger beat throught out it might help , if you don't have the sounds try Splice.com and watch some Youtube utuorials on making beats or at least get a drumloop that's got some energy to it and go from there.

Mark

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:34 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:47 am
Some nice Spanish sounding parts on there - I like the piano and guitar but the backing track doesn't really sound Hip Hop - the drums are just not strong / punchy or enough, the 808 bass can probably stay in the lower register and that vocal type synth that plays from the start I would probably lose as it makes it sound dated.

If you had a stonger beat throught out it might help , if you don't have the sounds try Splice.com and watch some Youtube utuorials on making beats or at least get a drumloop that's got some energy to it and go from there.

Mark
Many Thx Mark, sound advice (pun intended!) I have the sounds... just dloaded some Serum patches...
Will work on that this week, July 18th is deadline.
Pierre