We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Swagger-Filled, URBAN-LEANING EMPOWERMENT SONGS

Post by jaywilliams » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi Guys -

Here's a track I'm working on with Heather Rachael who provided the vocals and lyrics.

We're after this Taxi listing with Lizzo as our reference artist, our track is coming in closer to the 2nd reference track than the first.

At this time we would greatly appreciate input into the lyrics and vocals specifically - this is a quick demo, the vocals have not been mixed and EQ'd etc so granular mix/master related feedback is not needed just yet. ;)

My keywords for this project are:
Swagger
Sassy Style
Empowerment
Catchy Chorus
Extra Bass
Verby Ring Out

How well is our track fitting the listing?

Lyrically - do we need to change the line "I’ll pull your ass right out of your seat" to keep it a Clean track, or should we leave it in to be closer to the reference artist (who does swear in her music)?

Composition - anything standing out like a sore thumb?
what are we missing?
what needs to go?

Anything else that you think would help us scoot this towards the Forwards pile and away from the Returns pile?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your taking the time to listen and provide feedback!

Jay :)

*link removed, thanks for your comments!*

Swagger-Filled, URBAN-LEANING EMPOWERMENT SONGS with Female Vocals are needed by an extremely busy Music Licensing Company with a really long track record of placements in Film, TV, and Commercials.

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs that would fit in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references we got from the client:

WARNING: The references may have graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

“Good As Hell” by Lizzo

“Soulmate” by Lizzo

Please send them well-structured Songs with a sassy style and vibe. Your production should be top-notch, with a really memorable chorus that delivers a strong, empowering message. Be sure to have a soulfully expressive vocal delivery full of attitude and swagger!

Lyric Tip: Female Empowerment lyric themes are needed for this pitch. Consider this list of lyric topics as a potential starting point as they could all work well for this request (and because they came directly from the client):

let's go/get ready
feeling powerful
yes, I can/we can
perseverance
feeling myself/love myself
watch me
empowerment
doing my thing

Lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, places, brands, and profanity are recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for texture, tone, and overall vibe. Please avoid any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal. This Music Library splits ALL sync fees 50/50 with you. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Please do not send material for this pitch that is already signed to any other libraries or catalogs. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Sunday, July 21st, 2019. TAXI #Y190721UR
Last edited by jaywilliams on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Swagger-Filled, URBAN-LEANING EMPOWERMENT SONGS

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:50 am

It sounds like the vocals are in a different key to the music so I don't know what's gone wrong there...whether it's the singer or the backing track ?

That aside I think the lyrics are decent, her voice could sound nice if it sounded in key but the actual music sounds very flat and in the distance on a production level - too much ambience or reverb - the sounds are pretty dated or produced in a way that makes them sound like something from the 80s, there is none of the punch and vibrancy of the reference track and I don't know how the song was written but it seems really lacking in musicality for want of a better word.

If I pick up my guitar I can strum along with LIzzo and generally figure out what the chords are - with yours it just sounds like someone threw a bunch of loops together with no regard for chord development, hamrmony , structure

Maybe pick up the Robin Fredericks books about songwriting and go from there if you want to dramatically improve your chances.

Mark

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Thank you Mark for your feedback and your candor.

I appreciate you taking the time to listen and respond!

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi Jay,

The only think I will say is... listening with headphones.... the vox are too much on the right side.

Keep working on it!

My 2 cents,
Tim

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:30 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:01 pm
Hey Jay

I only had a quick listen, also to the references, more skimming over it, I mean. The voice recording sounds good. I see what you mean by it being closer to the 2nd reference. Given this is classified R&B/Soul, I feel you are a little too far on the electronic side, even though the 2nd reference has more EDM elements in it (from my quick assessment). I guess you could try and develop it more towards the electronic spectrum, but if it is targeted at that listing, I feel more urban/R& elements are needed, it does not really feel urban yet (I know it is work in progress...). I think Mark is right with the reverb/delay being a little too much on the lead synth. Melody-wise, I would have to listen several times, but (maybe that is what Mark means) it could benefit from a melodically stronger (more memorable?) hook that ties it all together.

Tom (not an R&B expert)
Thanks Tom I appreciate your feedback.

Fortunately I have time to tinker with it before deadline, I'll keep your insights in mind.

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:31 pm

ttully wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:05 pm
Hi Jay,

The only think I will say is... listening with headphones.... the vox are too much on the right side.

Keep working on it!

My 2 cents,
Tim
Hey Tim thanks for weighing in.

Vocals have not been mixed yet at all, I'll keep that in mind though when we get to that stage.

I appreciate you!

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:39 pm

Well, here's how she turned out.

We decided not to push the track too far away from what it was trying to be :)

Went ahead and sent it in for this listing and another Female Empowerment type listing that Heather spotted, will keep you posted.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to listen and provide feedback (no matter how blunt or delicate).

I appreciate you!

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions