DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Am I on the right track?

Post by DannyWeber » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:23 pm

davidira wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:37 am
https://soundcloud.com/user-422260110/electricity

Any chance you could take a listen and provide feedback. Same listing. I've got two nights to potentially make adjustments. Many thanks in advance.
Hi David,

Not sure if you were directing this question at me or to someone else on this post but if you were asking me..

Two things to consider before submitting..

1. Timing issues.. I would slow the tempo down, record the instruments at the slower speed to tighten things up then speed the whole mix back up again using time stretching.

2. Strings sound synthy… I would use more of a staccato sounding strings sound rather than the pizzicato strings your using now.

I hope this helps you before the deadline!

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

davidira
Active
Active

Post by davidira » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:07 am

Thank you Danny - you rock.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Danny, your track seems to be very much in the wheelhouse of the reference track. Nice guitar tone. Hope it gets you a forward.

David, you have some good ideas in your track but like Danny said the pizzicato strings aren't quite doing the trick-- maybe just skip the strings altogether? You still have til tomorrow to get it done.

I also am working on tracks for this listing. The one I'm working on right now is a bit of a departure from the reference tracks tempo-wise and also I didn't use orchestral elements since they were optional anyway. I like my arrangement overall but I am having a hell of a time getting a good guitar tone that sits just right in the mix. I'm recording in Logic X and I tried using my guitar into a Yamaha THR10 via usb (great little amps!) and also running my guitar through the interface and using Logic amp designer and preamps.

If anyone can listen to my track and give me some mix advice- and let me know if this song is a decent fit for this listing or if it's too far removed, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks! Ted

https://soundcloud.com/ted-w/jbv6

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:01 am

Ted wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:00 pm
I also am working on tracks for this listing. The one I'm working on right now is a bit of a departure from the reference tracks tempo-wise and also I didn't use orchestral elements since they were optional anyway. I like my arrangement overall but I am having a hell of a time getting a good guitar tone that sits just right in the mix. I'm recording in Logic X and I tried using my guitar into a Yamaha THR10 via usb (great little amps!) and also running my guitar through the interface and using Logic amp designer and preamps.

If anyone can listen to my track and give me some mix advice- and let me know if this song is a decent fit for this listing or if it's too far removed, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks! Ted

https://soundcloud.com/ted-w/jbv6
Hey Ted,
  • I think everything sounds fine as far as the mixing except, the drums need to be more punchy.
    I would add little low to mid eq to the snare and kick and a little drum bus compression but you may find a better way.
  • You need to add a little silence at the beginning. I'm not hearing all of the first note.
  • I'd say the guitar sits good in the mix and has a good tone as well.
  • I think the writing is a good fit for the listing.. I could hear this as background music for a sports show!
Good job, Ted!

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Dan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen to my track and to give me those suggestions. I'm gonna take your advice and play around with my drum EQ a bit before I submit the track. I had already given the drums more punch by sending the drums to an aux channel in Logic with an effect called "Phat FX" which is a really good tool to beef up Logic X's Drummer. But it sounds like they need a bit more. Maybe I'll go back into drummer and replace the drummer's "kit" and that might give me a punchier sound.