1 Spotify Artist Page or 2 when working in 2 Genres

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Robsheffer

1 Spotify Artist Page or 2 when working in 2 Genres

Post by Robsheffer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:22 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, so thank you for welcoming me- and please let me know if I’ve inadvertently left out any important information. My question I need advice for is: As a small, independent artist who primarily creates music in two distinct styles, should I create one or two artist pages on Spotify to put my music? (Spotify is my main concern here at the moment, but I realize this topic is relevant to all pages of the like)

Here’s my situation: I’m a professional classical guitarist (performer and teacher) from Pittsburgh. I am starting to get good name recognition in my area, but I am not at all regionally known. After years of performing, I’m finally starting to release my music. I primarily work in 2 styles: instrumental guitar and contemporary Christian. The styles aren’t by any means at odds with each other, but I recognize that when selling my music to a larger audience I am probably looking at two distinct crowds. Is it wiser for me to create one artist profile that contains all of my music so that I only have one page to “sell” people and advertise- and just let people find the music they want and ignore the music they don’t… Or is it wiser to create two separate profiles- one for Christian music and one for instrumental guitar, and just realize that when I’m talking to my fans who are invested specifically in “me,” that I’ll have to get them to check out two different pages.

I appreciate any input. While I’ve been honing my craft and playing locally for many years, the larger scale promotion side of things is very new to me. Thanks

Rob Sheffer

GBall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: 1 Spotify Artist Page or 2 when working in 2 Genres

Post by GBall » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:43 am

Hey Rob,

You sound like an interesting guy to listen to. Though I'm a potential fan of both genres, I can't say that I'd want to listen to them both on the same play list and I wonder how the Spotify "artists you may also like" algorithms would work for you using a single page. I don't know, but that would be a major factor for me.

Greg

Robsheffer

Re: 1 Spotify Artist Page or 2 when working in 2 Genres

Post by Robsheffer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks Greg!

That's a great point- I hadn't really thought about Spotify's algorithms and recommendations. That's definitely a reason to keep the pages separate.

Thanks
Rob