Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Xmas song Y190815XM

Post by pveniot » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:02 am

Hi, all.
Want your sound advice on this song...
Pretty close to what I think it should be.
Comments about the mix appreciated,

NO, I will not change the lyrics nor the instrumentation.

Not sure about the drums though!

No midi involved, in case you worry!

https://soundcloud.com/pierre-veniot/my-snowy-christmas

Songs should be in one of the following genres:

Adult Contemporary
Singer/Songwriter
Operatic
Classical Crossover/Easy Listening
Jazz
Old School, Classic Soul/R&B
Please submit Holiday Songs that will resonate emotionally with listeners getting into the Holiday Spirit! Your production style can vary, but they are mainly interested in hearing songs with more organic instrumentation, NOT Songs that are particularly Pop-driven or trendy-sounding.

Lyric Tip: Lyrics that are about the holiday season will probably work better than religious Songs.

Hope you like it, as I do.
work in progress.

Peace
Pierre
:D Music is the Esperanto of the world. (Duke Ellington)

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Xmas song Y190815XM

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:23 am

It's got a cool jazzy live sound to it. Almost like we're listening to it in a dark jazz club. Not sure I'm getting much of a Christmas vibe from it, but it's got cool spirit.

That being said, the vocals are a bit buried. So are the drum fills - I'd bring those out more.

I know you said you will not change the instrumentation, but that synth is killing me. I'd yank that.

~~Matt

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:22 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:23 am
It's got a cool jazzy live sound to it. Almost like we're listening to it in a dark jazz club. Not sure I'm getting much of a Christmas vibe from it, but it's got cool spirit.

That being said, the vocals are a bit buried. So are the drum fills - I'd bring those out more.

I know you said you will not change the instrumentation, but that synth is killing me. I'd yank that.

~~Matt
Thanks Matt,

New version here following your sound advice! (pun intended!)

P. :D

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:29 am

Much improved! Now, for my ears, the ride cymbal is drowning out the mix. Could you pull that back a good chunk? Like, 4-6 db's for starters.

The vocal also seems a bit "boxy". Hard to describe, but something about the EQ or recording or mic or something is keeping it from shining as it should.... maybe a real technical wiz could give a specific theory as to why. On top of whatever sonics are keeping it from soaring on the mix, you'll definitely want to ride the vocal with volume automation to make sure words (and the ends of words) aren't getting lost in here.

Really cool song, and I liked it even more this second time around. You're just a little spit-polish away from having a great one.

~~Matt

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 am

Yes... All the points Matt said are true...

Also, the 2 crash cymbals are panned too much right and left and a bit too loud... especially the right sice cym at :37, 1:16, 1:56 too loud and midi sounding.
The left cymbal is better sounding and doesn't stick out so much

But this is a very cool track..I have heard it from you before and I liked it then..

To me... the main thing is the crash cymbals...BUT please don't cut the ride so much that you cant hear it.... YOU NEED IT!!! That is the pulse of this track along with the high hat...

Almost there!

Tim

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:34 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:29 am
Much improved! Now, for my ears, the ride cymbal is drowning out the mix. Could you pull that back a good chunk? Like, 4-6 db's for starters.

The vocal also seems a bit "boxy". Hard to describe, but something about the EQ or recording or mic or something is keeping it from shining as it should.... maybe a real technical wiz could give a specific theory as to why. On top of whatever sonics are keeping it from soaring on the mix, you'll definitely want to ride the vocal with volume automation to make sure words (and the ends of words) aren't getting lost in here.

Really cool song, and I liked it even more this second time around. You're just a little spit-polish away from having a great one.

~~Matt
Hi Matt, thx for the input...
I guess Il will have to redo the drums... it is a complete drum loop...
But I think I can find a better set of loops...
As for the voice, still working on it... I used Izotope Nectar3...not sure about it!

Work in progress, thanks again...
Pierre

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 pm

ttully wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 am

Also, the 2 crash cymbals are panned too much right and left and a bit too loud... especially the right sice cym at :37, 1:16, 1:56 too loud and midi sounding.

But this is a very cool track..I have heard it from you before and I liked it then..

To me... the main thing is the crash cymbals...BUT please don't cut the ride so much that you cant hear it.... YOU NEED IT!!! That is the pulse of this track along with the high hat...

Almost there!

Tim
Thanks Tim, working on the mix...
Glad you agree with Matt. It makes it easier to focus on the real issues.
Will post the results...

Thanks again.
Pierre

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:30 am

pveniot wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:34 pm
VanderBoegh wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:29 am

~~Matt
Hi Matt, thx for the input...
I guess Il will have to redo the drums... it is a complete drum loop...
But I think I can find a better set of loops...
As for the voice, still working on it... I used Izotope Nectar3...not sure about it!

Work in progress, thanks again...
Pierre
New version, I delete the other ones...

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 am

pveniot wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 pm
ttully wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 am

Almost there!

Tim
Thanks Tim, working on the mix...
Glad you agree with Matt. It makes it easier to focus on the real issues.
Will post the results...

Thanks again.
Pierre
New version

Hope it's
the one...

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:45 am

It's closer, but still not quite there. The problem is in your presentation of the "virtual stage" which is always important, but ESPECIALLY with a style of music that sounds really live.

Envision what you would see on a real stage. Who would be the closest to the audience? The singer. Who would be the farthest away? The drummer.

The problem with your mix right now is that it sounds like the drummer is right next to our table, pounding away on his ride cymbals which are for some strange reason set up next to our heads. The singer sounds like she is waaaay back on the stage, behind everything. So, your presentation of musical elements is backwards of what it should be.

Just thinking of things in this way will help you put things in their appropriate place when mixing. I can't remember where I learned that trick, but I know I picked it up at a Road Rally many years ago. Might have been Ronan Chris Murphy who taught a class on it.

~~Matt