Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

8/26/19 show

Post by ronnie35 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:16 pm

Great show
Ron :)
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 8/26/19 show

Post by jdstamper » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:48 am

Absolutely,

A big Thank You to Matt for his pro tips and studio tour, and the little special guest stars at the end. And Thanks to Michael for the Boise road trip*

This was a really special episode and nice insight into Matt's success!

* which would take 15 hours one-way in an actual taxi :)

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

wendylanders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wendylanders » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:20 pm

A question for Matt,

You have multiple interfaces. How are you using them, generally speaking?

Right now, I've got a Focusrite Claret 4Pre. I've got plenty of inputs and outputs, that's not the problem. I have to use it to play my Keyscape through the speakers in order to get a realistic, broadcast quality piano sound. At the same time, I need to use the same interface to record the track coming back through the speaker. I cannot get may head around how this is supposed to work. Are you using one interface for output and another for input? Do you hook them both up to the same computer? Are you using two different computers, one to play and another to record? Or can it all be done on one interface, and I just don't know what I'm doing?

I did find a YouTube video about how to connect multiple interfaces on a Mac computer, so that part I can figure out.

Thank you for letting Taxi TV come to your home!

Best,

Wendy Landers

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:59 pm

wendylanders wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:20 pm
A question for Matt,

You have multiple interfaces. How are you using them, generally speaking?

Right now, I've got a Focusrite Claret 4Pre. I've got plenty of inputs and outputs, that's not the problem. I have to use it to play my Keyscape through the speakers in order to get a realistic, broadcast quality piano sound. At the same time, I need to use the same interface to record the track coming back through the speaker. I cannot get may head around how this is supposed to work. Are you using one interface for output and another for input? Do you hook them both up to the same computer? Are you using two different computers, one to play and another to record? Or can it all be done on one interface, and I just don't know what I'm doing?

I did find a YouTube video about how to connect multiple interfaces on a Mac computer, so that part I can figure out.

Thank you for letting Taxi TV come to your home!

Best,

Wendy Landers
Hi Wendy,
I did not spot multiple interfaces in the footage (Matt - I hope what I am about to say is not 'bathroom creepy' :D )... What I saw was the 64 keys version of the NI Kontrol keyboard (not sure it is the 1st or 2nd generation), the Focusrite 2i2 (?), an Art Preamp + a Behringer monitor controller...
Cheers,
Matt

wendylanders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wendylanders » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:32 pm

Thanks!

I only watched the show once (I swear!), but I was hoping to find out how Matt had stocked his studio. I appreciate the clarification.

If anyone knows where to direct me on recording while playing through the same interface, I'd appreciate it.

Best! :)

Wendy Landers

wendylanders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wendylanders » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:24 pm

I think I can find an answer in the "overdubbing" part of the Focusrite manual, but I'm still uncertain. Typically in overdubbing, the previously recorded tracks are going into headphones, not an amp in the next room.

However, I should probably take this question to another part of the forums, since I've veered from the broadcast.

Thanks!

Wendy Landers

wendylanders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wendylanders » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:42 pm

Woo-hoo! :)

Got it working.

Wendy

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:50 am

Thanks for the shout-out, Ron! Glad you guys liked the episode. Those are always soooo much damn fun!!!

And Wendy, Matt (the other Matt posting on this thread) is completely right:
I did not spot multiple interfaces in the footage (Matt - I hope what I am about to say is not 'bathroom creepy' :D )... What I saw was the 64 keys version of the NI Kontrol keyboard (not sure it is the 1st or 2nd generation), the Focusrite 2i2 (?), an Art Preamp + a Behringer monitor controller...
Wow, Matt, you've got the eyes of a hawk!! Yup, I've got a Scarlett Focusrite 2-input interface, an ART Tube preamp (not connected), and a Behringer Headphone amp (also not connected..... rarely ever needed for what I do).

~~Matt

wendylanders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wendylanders » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, Matt. :)

OK, so I have enough equipment. There's no mystery box out there that I don't know about yet.

Personally, I love my little portable Art Tube pre-amp because it was relatively cheap, more or less works on its own, and didn't die when I plugged my expensive condenser mic in wrong and fried the mic.

Best!

Wendy Landers

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:11 am

Good things happen to good people. Great inspiration!

I just have to beat 36 grand/y to be able to make a living. Gotta pull myself together.
Ceo of my own life