A lurker emerges...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jacreeve

A lurker emerges...

Post by jacreeve » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:41 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Jacqui (or Jac for short). I signed up for TAXI about a year ago, and just renewed for a second year. I thought it was about time I said hello, having lurked on here for a while!

Music-wise, I'm a bit of a jack-of-all-trades - I sing, I play various instruments including guitar and drums, and I enjoy the production side of things as well. I'm about to convert one of the rooms into my house into a studio, which I'm dead excited about. No more putting all my music gear away in the spare room when I'm finished - hooray!

I live in Cambridge, UK, where I play in a couple of bands: an acoustic folk/pop band, and a raucous indie-punk band. Very occasionally I also play solo, but I find it much less fun performing on my own. Mostly I write singer/songwriter, indie and folk music, although I like to branch out from that base as much as I can (recent experiments include metal and rap!). I've been involved in February Album Writing Month and 50 Songs in 90 Days for the past decade or so.

I got my first placement through TAXI in January this year, but since then my luck seems to have dried up a bit, so I'm hoping that year 2 will bring renewed momentum.

Looking forward to getting to know the community here. Thanks for reading this hello! :)

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: A lurker emerges...

Post by funsongs » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:48 pm

Greeting & welcome to these Forums - where I spent several years 'lurking'... even participating... before I jumped into the TAXI pool.
Hope your experience here is a rewarding one.
CHEERS.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

jacreeve

Post by jacreeve » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks Peter!

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Welcome Jac!

Glad you decided to begin posting on the forums! Such a great community to be a part of.

Would love to hear your stuff if you feel inclined to share. :) I'm guessing your stuff is pretty on-point if you already have a placement under your belt!

Best of luck to you! Keep us updated on how things are goin!

Andrew

EDIT: Just saw your taxi link and checked out some of your songs.. just as I had expected, they sound great! Keep up the awesome work! :)

pboss
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by pboss » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:53 am

Welcome! I listened to one of your tracks, "Cold Hands" - love it, and it sounds great. Try to get to the next Rally - it will be worth it.
Patty Boss composes music for NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox, Bravo, MTV, VH1, etc.

http://soundcloud.com/pattyboss
http://pattyboss.com

jacreeve

Post by jacreeve » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:49 am

Thanks, Andrew and Patty, most kind of you both to take a listen. :)

Unfortunately I can't make it to the next rally this year, but it's top of my list for next year once I've replenished my savings a bit. A friend of mine went last year and came back raving about it so I'm gutted I can't make it. Alas, building projects are quite expensive, it turns out...

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 am

Nice tracks, getting a bit aof a Suzanne Vega vibe just listening the songs..more the sort of thing I would expect to hear on an Indie movie

I think slightly more upbeat songs are more license friendly like " Somehow You Always Know " ...I could just imagine that on an advert...Do more of those ! Bounce Along sounds like it would do well in the instrumental world.

My first Library deal was for a track that was similar to The Paper Kites - Bloom and I can imagine you doing something similar, that sort of thing seems quite often requested too.

Sounds like you will get there, you obviously have the skills...It's just learning how to tweak what you do for music licensing ( like when I listend to Best Dress I immediately thought the intro needed cutting in half )

Good luck with setting your studio room up - lots of folk knowledgable on that here too.

Mark ( uk )

jacreeve

Post by jacreeve » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Cheers Mark! Good idea to post here about studio setup - I shall do that. I'm going to need all the help I can get on that front.

Thanks for checking out some of my tracks as well, and for the confidence boost. I have so much to learn about music licensing...it all feels a bit daunting right now.

roguenoisemachine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roguenoisemachine » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:53 am

Hi Jacreeve!

Welcome! I only recently emerged from my little lurker cave as well :D Without fail, everyone on here has been nothing but welcoming, kind and generous with their time and help.
Well done on getting that placement. I just see it as the start of something wonderful!

Listening to your track Cedar Ave as I type this and just chillin' in the sweet vibe. Keep doing what you do! I can hear your heart in it ;)

Take care,

jacreeve

Post by jacreeve » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi Anelda, thanks for the welcome!