We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

"Clappiness"-Song from last night's Taxi TV

Post by JohnnyP » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Hey all,
I had an instrumental titled "Clappiness" played on Taxi TV last night and the screener said he would have forwarded it but he thought a library/ad agency might come back and ask for more layers to be added. Several folks in the chatroom said they didn't think it was loud enough. I've added a few additional layers and have attempted to make it a bit louder. I was wondering if anyone who listened to T TV last night could let me know if they think it's progressed any. Thanks in advance! Best, John

here's the new link.

https://soundcloud.com/jp-pearson-1/clappiness-mix001
Last edited by JohnnyP on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Clappiness"-Song from last night's Taxi TV

Post by cassmcentee » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:17 pm

Hey John!
I like the cue, I'm giving you my mix thoughts!
So I just played your tune through my monitors at about 40db to 50db (my halfway point for mixing)
Things that I'm hearing:
The Snaps/Claps are hitting my ears too hard and too high, i can even see it in your wave file, notice the peaks
The vocalization comes in seeming to be very muddy...
The added percussion has great tone!
Your overall volume is a bit low so I cranked my monitors up to 100db +/- and your song began to waken up and sound good
But I should never have to crank my monitors that hard! Dangerous territory for my ears.
So then I gave it the low volume test, monitors around 20db and I hear too much muffle and high snap/claps
I'm thinking the mix needs a good amount of limiting and compression in different areas so that it will tame the snaps, work well at a low volume, and allow you to raise the overall volume by a fair amount.
Sincerely,
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Hey Cass,
Thanks so much for the feedback. I usually send my vocal songs out for mix and mastering but was trying my hand at it for once. Back to the mixing board!
I totally get what you’re saying and I guess I got complacent coz the screener on last night’s show said he would forward it😂.

But a forward doesn’t mean it’s necessarily good enough to be signed.
Thanks again for the detailed critique! Best to you, John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:44 am

Ok, I've added a new link (in my original post and here ) to a hotter hopefully smoother mix.

https://soundcloud.com/jp-pearson-1/clappiness-mix001

Here's the listing I've just sent it to. Fingers crossed...

Y190920TV
POSITIVE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed for TV COMMERCIALS by a High-End Music Library with countless credits in Feature Films, TV Shows, and Commercials.

NOTE: We recently ran this request as a TAXI Listing (TAXI #Y190810PN), but the company didn’t get enough material and asked us to re-run this request to see if we could find even more. If you submitted to TAXI #Y190810PN, please submit different material this time around!

They’re looking for Instrumental Cues in All Tempos that would fall within the stylistic wheelhouse of the references we got from our client:

Positive Ad-Friendly Examples (Dropbox playlist)

Please submit well-composed Instrumental Cues that have an "advertising-friendly” sound and vibe. Your production should be driven by organic-based instrumentation and should have some development as it progresses.

The key elements that make this Music Library happy are:

• Cues should have a Positive mood (it can be “warm” and/or “motivational”, but ALWAYS positive.)

• Cues MUST have good edit points.

• Cues must be Library ‘friendly’ (i.e.: a clear theme right from the start. Proper mood and pacing.)

• Instrumental Cues can have an ABAB structure but certainly don't need to (check out the referenced examples). Prominent leads/solos are not needed. The theme/motif should be found more in the arrangement/chord progressions (again, listen to the examples).

• High quality in composition, tone, and performance is all required.

All submissions should be approximately 2 minutes long. Non-Faded, Buttoned endings are preferred. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:11 am

Much better!
The Claps could use more compression or a limiter...
They are the only thing still peaking my monitors
You can still see where they do on your wave file
Either a 5:1 compression ratio that hits the offending peakers or just a limiter that cuts the offenders by 5db? (just guessing, but that's how I would start)
Otherwise the overall volume seems perfect!
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:20 am

cassmcentee wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:11 am
Much better!
The Claps could use more compression or a limiter...
They are the only thing still peaking my monitors
You can still see where they do on your wave file
Either a 5:1 compression ratio that hits the offending peakers or just a limiter that cuts the offenders by 5db? (just guessing, but that's how I would start)
Otherwise the overall volume seems perfect!
Thanks Cass!! I'll try to get those claps straightened out. I appreciate the help! best, John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:16 pm

It's a great cue. Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:37 pm

jdstamper wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:16 pm
It's a great cue. Jim
Thanks Jim! Best, John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:19 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback. I usually send my vocal songs out for mix and mastering but was trying my hand at it for once. Back to the mixing board
Probably one of the hardest types of tracks to start on :!: :lol: Sometimes you really have to work taming those high transient peaks but in the actual mix is the best place to do it.
Great points from Jim and Cass. If you have a tape emulation plugin give that a shot in front of the limiter.

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:24 pm

lesmac wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:19 pm
Thanks so much for the feedback. I usually send my vocal songs out for mix and mastering but was trying my hand at it for once. Back to the mixing board
Probably one of the hardest types of tracks to start on :!: :lol: Sometimes you really have to work taming those high transient peaks but in the actual mix is the best place to do it.
Great points from Jim and Cass. If you have a tape emulation plugin give that a shot in front of the limiter.
Ah! Good suggestion. Thanks Les
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com