Why would you not forward this?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Why would you not forward this?

Post by gregorym » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:38 pm

I just need some good feedback here. I have my thoughts, but I'm starting to have doubts that I can read a listing or brief and do what it says. It must be me. Please confirm.

The listing...

Y190915AD

A RANGE OF 1980s-Sounding TV SHOW INSTRUMENTALS is needed by a successful, EXCLUSIVE Music Library for Film, TV, and Commercial placements.

NOTE: We recently ran this request as (TAXI #D190825TV), and the company loved what we sent them and asked us to re-run this request to see if we could find them even more great material. If you submitted to TAXI #D190825TV, please submit different material this time around!

They’re on the hunt for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that have the general style and vibe of the following references:

Miami Vice Theme Song

Jackpot Theme Song

The Facts of Life Theme Song

Growing Pains Theme Song

Although some of the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals Only for this pitch.

Please send well-composed instrumentals that sound like they came right out of the '80s TV era. Your submissions should have era-appropriate instrumentation and should bring listeners back to the classic sounds and styles heard on Daytime TV, Nighttime TV, and Game Shows during that time period.

NOTE: Recently recorded Instrumentals with a retro sound or authentic vintage master recordings from the 1980s will both work for this request.

Your submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will probably work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Genre-appropriate Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the material you submit for this pitch CANNOT be signed with any other publishers or catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis – Short Critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Sunday, September 15th, 2019. TAXI #Y190915AD

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Why would you not forward this?

Post by Kolstad » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:27 pm

I think the style nails it, but I think the mix needs to be a little dry’er sounding. Yes, the 80s charts were full of reverb, but not so much tv, and the reverb on your track sound more modern to me (more bright and lush). I might just be splitting hairs, but I blame my ears. Traack might still get through. Fun listing!
Ceo of my own life

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:12 am

Kolstad wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:27 pm
I think the style nails it, but I think the mix needs to be a little dry’er sounding. Yes, the 80s charts were full of reverb, but not so much tv, and the reverb on your track sound more modern to me (more bright and lush). I might just be splitting hairs, but I blame my ears. Traack might still get through. Fun listing!
You make an excellent point! I'm thinking of Night Rider, Airwolf and Miami Vice: little to no verb. Perhaps that is what the screener meant to state when he/she returned this one to me. "Dated" as in future, I guess.

Thanks Kolstad. You're comment about nailing it stylistically makes my morning.

jessecarrigan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jessecarrigan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:24 am

I had a return for similar reasons. I didn't quite understand the "dated" comment either but that makes a lot of sense. Gotta nail those details...

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:36 am

What were the screener's full comments?

I was gonna chime in earlier but I'm still somewhat green as a producer and wanted to see what someone else said first to see if I was thinking along the right lines. What Kolstad wrote was pretty much what I was thinking. The mix sounds a bit muddy and sounds too far "back" with not enough presence-- likely because of the reverb. Because of this it sounds kind of garbled and "lo-fi" to my ears.

Which is a shame because I also agree that you nailed the genre and this is a very good composition. I was going to say this song really has a nice "Airwolf" vibe to it-- and I liked the many little modulations sprinkled through-- which were tonal hallmarks of that genre/era. It really triggers my Pavlovian nostalgia for the 80's.

It really sucks when we get a return for a production issue on a track that has great compositional/performance elements. Over the summer I worked really hard on a "surf guitar" track for a listing. I thought "reverb, reverb, reverb" and when I got the return there was no comment on the song itself but rather a terse "muddy sounding-- too much echo to be of use for this listing" remark. That was one of the hardest returns I ever got-- and the one that was almost the straw that broke my Taxi back and made me want to quit. I worked my butt off on that track. Then it pissed me off even more when I finally listened to the songs that got forwarded for that listing and half of them were more country than surf. :evil:

Don't let it get you down. We all get robbed sometimes-- even if it's the producer side of us robbing the composer/performer side of ourselves. You know there will be more listings for that same style-- heck that listing was a rerun of a previous listing (because they got a lot of music they wanted.) So go back and remix the track and have it sitting in the can for the next opportunity-- which WILL come-- because it's a sweet track!

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:06 am

Ted wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:36 am
What were the screener's full comments?
Screener writes: "Track has a bit of a dated sort of sound, despite it being targeted at the 80's themed style described in listing."

If I had a chance to ask the screener, dated how? Predated the 80's? Postdated the 80's? The screeners are music insiders. They know how to speak in musical, engineering and thoughtful ways. This screener comment is vague. Someone please convince me otherwise.

Better said, "there is TOO much reverb on parts of this track." OR "Too much reverb." <- that's really all they have to say. I can't argue that. It's a fact.

BELLYACHING ASIDE:
Thanks Ted for your kind comments about the track. I'm not the only writer on this track. There was three of us. I loved it from the moment I heard it back in 92. Great melodic and harmonic composition.

I'll see you around Ted,
Greg

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:07 am

jessecarrigan wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:24 am
I had a return for similar reasons. I didn't quite understand the "dated" comment either but that makes a lot of sense. Gotta nail those details...
:D I know. I got to get them details!

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:00 pm

hey gammasign that's a really fun track, pesky that they Returned it without helpful feedback.

I got a similar comment on one of my returns for the same listing.

I think this is a misery loves company scenario, but I'm still baffled about the reviews asking for "updated" sounds for the 80s listing.

not sure that I would have Forwarded your track but heck if it doesnt sound like the theme song to an 80s show, to these 50 year old ears it sure enough does!

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:23 pm

jaywilliams wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:00 pm
hey gammasign that's a really fun track, pesky that they Returned it without helpful feedback.

I got a similar comment on one of my returns for the same listing.

I think this is a misery loves company scenario, but I'm still baffled about the reviews asking for "updated" sounds for the 80s listing.

not sure that I would have Forwarded your track but heck if it doesnt sound like the theme song to an 80s show, to these 50 year old ears it sure enough does!

Jay :)
Thanks Jay! I smile now. The people on the forum are great. You, Ted, Kolstad and everyone else always have a way of helping others. He he, misery does loves company, but really cool people, like taxi forum people make the miserable, me, no longer miserable. Thanks guys.

SteveAlton
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveAlton » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:49 pm

I'm thinking TOP GUN on this......

Sounds great