Baseline Recording Quality

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JohnBudnikBand

Baseline Recording Quality

Post by JohnBudnikBand » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:01 pm

Greetings,

I am less than a year old to Taxi’s services and licensing music (no forwards with Taxi, yet, and no placements from elsewhere). A running theme I see in some of the feedback is quality of recording. I record my artist music (John Budnik Band) and compositions in my home studio with quality mics and Logic Pro X. So I guess my questions are:

1) I was under the impression that it’s best to submit unmastered versions as the clients can then master for their production. True or false?

2) what are some baseline do’s and Dont’s for recording quality?

Your insight and advice is greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,
JB

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Baseline Recording Quality

Post by ResonantTone » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:07 pm

1) False. Libraries and Music supervisors and looking for completed works that they can throw into show/film without any additional work. All the mixing and mastering needs to be done before submitting.

The mastering side of things may vary widely on the song and context. For someone like me that is trying to crank out as many instrumental cues as possible, all mastering is done in house in a quick and messy sort of approach, if that makes sense. Someone that is putting a lot more time into a bread and butter vocal song may want to either spend a lot more time on the mastering themselves, or possibly ship it out for a professional to do.

2) The do’s and don’ts really depend on the genre and style imo. There are lots of good basic mic-ing technique videos, as well as mixing and self mastering videos on YouTube. One of the best ways to see how you’re doing is to use some really good reference tracks and a/b them with your mixes. I use an app call REFERENCE by Mastering the Mix, and it’s super helpful on a few different levels.

Hope that helps some!

Andrew

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:35 am

1) I was under the impression that it’s best to submit unmastered versions as the clients can then master for their production. True or false?
Definitely false!!

~~Matt

JohnBudnikBand

Post by JohnBudnikBand » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:28 pm

ResonantTone wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:07 pm
1) False. Libraries and Music supervisors and looking for completed works that they can throw into show/film without any additional work. All the mixing and mastering needs to be done before submitting.

The mastering side of things may vary widely on the song and context. For someone like me that is trying to crank out as many instrumental cues as possible, all mastering is done in house in a quick and messy sort of approach, if that makes sense. Someone that is putting a lot more time into a bread and butter vocal song may want to either spend a lot more time on the mastering themselves, or possibly ship it out for a professional to do.

2) The do’s and don’ts really depend on the genre and style imo. There are lots of good basic mic-ing technique videos, as well as mixing and self mastering videos on YouTube. One of the best ways to see how you’re doing is to use some really good reference tracks and a/b them with your mixes. I use an app call REFERENCE by Mastering the Mix, and it’s super helpful on a few different levels.

Hope that helps some!

Andrew
Definitely helps! I’m interested in any music I create being licensed so perhaps a mic approach of mastering myself and by a professional could be key. Thank you for the tips and leads!

JB

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:14 pm

Hey John,

You already got the answer to your first question and I agree.

In fact - a HUGE majority of music that makes it to TV (my experience and I am sure Matt V would agree) isn't mastered by anyone in a studio someplace lofty - its usually composed, produced, mixed, and mastered by the composer. Its worth learning how to do it yourself.

Your second question:

You aren't really specific - but it depends on what you are trying to create (genre and vibe) and whether you can program, or play all the parts yourself, and make it sound believable. As Andrew said above. Its all basic recording techniques, and the magic is usually in the production and mixing.

TIP: If you aren't getting forwards, its usually because the music you have put together is not a great pitch - its off topic, not in the right genre or sub-genre, or is not using the right type of sounds.

Lotsa great music - but not every great piece is a great pitch for every listing.

HTH.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:48 pm

It was false for me until recently when a publisher asked that I leave enough headroom for them to do the final master. I still had bus compression and eq on my master bus, just didn't slam it with a limiter at the end of the chain.

JohnBudnikBand

Post by JohnBudnikBand » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:37 pm

andygabrys wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:14 pm
Hey John,

You already got the answer to your first question and I agree.

In fact - a HUGE majority of music that makes it to TV (my experience and I am sure Matt V would agree) isn't mastered by anyone in a studio someplace lofty - its usually composed, produced, mixed, and mastered by the composer. Its worth learning how to do it yourself.

Your second question:

You aren't really specific - but it depends on what you are trying to create (genre and vibe) and whether you can program, or play all the parts yourself, and make it sound believable. As Andrew said above. Its all basic recording techniques, and the magic is usually in the production and mixing.

TIP: If you aren't getting forwards, its usually because the music you have put together is not a great pitch - its off topic, not in the right genre or sub-genre, or is not using the right type of sounds.

Lotsa great music - but not every great piece is a great pitch for every listing.

HTH.
HTH, this is all good advice. I appreciate you taking the time give me these pointers. I'm still connecting a lot of dots and, at this point, it feels like a lot of trial and error. But, I am persistent and, understandably, this is a craft to hone and get good at - it won't happen overnight.

JB

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:32 am

HTH= hope that helps.

Good luck.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:16 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:35 am
Definitely false!!

~~Matt
Totally agree with Matt. Although I recently signed with a publisher who specifically asks for unmastered mixes (as they will do the mastering themselves).
Cheers,
Matt