Positive Instrumental Cues Y190920TV

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JohnBudnikBand

Positive Instrumental Cues Y190920TV

Post by JohnBudnikBand » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:16 pm

"Slower tempo than described in listing and also quite a dated production sound here, with the track still sounding in demo form. 2:50 is quite long for this kind of piece and arrangement as well."

This was the review I received on an instrumental cue pitch. I'm new to the music licensing game, but I do have some challenges to this review.

1) "Slower tempo..." - The listing said the client was looking for ALL TEMPOS

2) "dated production sound..." - I don't know what this means. Does this mean it sounds like it was recorded a long time ago? Or does this mean the musical style sounds old or "dated?"

For everything else, I can wrap my brain around why it wasn't a good pitch and fit. (bad sound quality, too long, etc.)

JB

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Positive Instrumental Cues Y190920TV

Post by ResonantTone » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Hey JB,

In regards to the "dated production sound" comment.. that can refer to both the overall sound of the track and how it was mixed/mastered (i.e. 90's vibe), or possibly some of the specific instrumentation sounds/riffs that are reminiscent of an older style. So I think the answer to both of your questions in 2) is yes and yes.

As far as tempos go, it's probably best to just stick close to the reference tracks. It's hard to give you more specifics without all the listing details and a link to your track, but I guess the screener felt like it was far enough off to be a mark against it, even if the listing agent was looking for a variety of tempos.

Don't let it get to ya too much.. I've had plenty of returns that didn't totally make sense to me, and the best way to approach it in my opinion is to just keep moving forward. (no pun intended!)

Best of luck,
Andrew

JohnBudnikBand

Re: Positive Instrumental Cues Y190920TV

Post by JohnBudnikBand » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:14 pm

ResonantTone wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:23 pm
Hey JB,

In regards to the "dated production sound" comment.. that can refer to both the overall sound of the track and how it was mixed/mastered (i.e. 90's vibe), or possibly some of the specific instrumentation sounds/riffs that are reminiscent of an older style. So I think the answer to both of your questions in 2) is yes and yes.

As far as tempos go, it's probably best to just stick close to the reference tracks. It's hard to give you more specifics without all the listing details and a link to your track, but I guess the screener felt like it was far enough off to be a mark against it, even if the listing agent was looking for a variety of tempos.

Don't let it get to ya too much.. I've had plenty of returns that didn't totally make sense to me, and the best way to approach it in my opinion is to just keep moving forward. (no pun intended!)

Best of luck,
Andrew
It’s good advice, my man. I know you can’t take it personally. I like the tip to stick close to the reference tracks. Thanks man!