getting songs onto spotify...

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

getting songs onto spotify...

Post by funsongs » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:30 pm

Do you do this for your songs - loading them without having to pay to do so?
If so - how did you do it?
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: getting songs onto spotify...

Post by jaywilliams » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Hey Peter -

Spotify no longer allows artists to upload their tracks directly, you need a distributor.

There are paid distributors and others who will distribute for a cut of the revenue.

I use Songtradr (annual membership @ $50), many others have commented that they use DistroKid.

Those are probably the two most common paid distributors and there are pros and cons to each.

HTH

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:36 pm

in addition - there is also CDBaby.

Also some publishers put your stuff up there (Apple Music too) so if you search for my name you get a rather "diverse" range of tunes.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:46 pm

I don't. Unless you have a record deal and the company have a decent agreement with spotify, there is nothing to gain.
Ceo of my own life

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:55 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:54 pm
Kolstad wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:46 pm
I don't. Unless you have a record deal and the company have a decent agreement with spotify, there is nothing to gain.
So, would it make more sense to gain a following on YouTube/SoundCloud, and when you see a song draws more interest, then put it in a place where people can pay for it?

Tom
I think so, but no one thing fits all. You may do it for different reasons (like marketing ect.). But I believe selling music online is pretty much a dead potato.
You might make something from pressing vinyl, if you make music in the top selling genres there. There are also some sales/merc if you gig a lot.

For me, the top selling scenario is to get something in a top movie, and offer a single song/track online in the wake of that.

But tbh, every scenario selling music right now is pretty grim. Most projects cant even recoup minimum wage for the hrs spent. Its deteriorating into a bedroom business.

I hope more optimistic folks will comment as well ;)
Ceo of my own life

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:50 am

Kolstad wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:55 am
CTWF wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:54 pm
Kolstad wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:46 pm
So, would it make more sense to gain a following on YouTube/SoundCloud, and when you see a song draws more interest, then put it in a place where people can pay for it?

Tom
I think so, but no one thing fits all. You may do it for different reasons (like marketing ect.). But I believe selling music online is pretty much a dead potato.
You might make something from pressing vinyl, if you make music in the top selling genres there. There are also some sales/merc if you gig a lot.

For me, the top selling scenario is to get something in a top movie, and offer a single song/track online in the wake of that.

But tbh, every scenario selling music right now is pretty grim. Most projects cant even recoup minimum wage for the hrs spent. Its deteriorating into a bedroom business.

I hope more optimistic folks will comment as well ;)
Thanks everyone for chiming in.
I will just reiterate what I heard from several Mentors at last year's Road Rally: basically - "...don't bother with albums and CD expenses; release your songs as singles on as many platforms as you can."
I would add to that: "...as you can afford." And therein lies the rub: you're trying to MAKE a profit...? Heck - with all that it costs to own gear, produce, advertise, and go public - seems it would be a long time before you could even break even; UNLESS - you happen to land a major hit.
The deck appears stacked so heavily in the house's favor - it looks pretty grim for the pure songwriter crowd.

But - IMHO - the music our soul wants to create must find its expression... seemingly, at any price.
How many artists can be quoted as having said, "Well... I didn't get into for the money... but for the love of the music." ? Or some variant of that.
And so - we continue... to create.
It is evidence that we were made in His image - to do likewise.
And so we do. :P
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra