Music and stuff

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bishop2001

Music and stuff

Post by bishop2001 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:40 am

Greetings
New here and would like to get some input and opinions. I have alot of completed and recorded music, as in songs although without singing. Would taxi be good for this ?
Thanks

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Music and stuff

Post by ResonantTone » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi Bishop,

I came into Taxi with a bunch of instrumental tracks that I had been making/messing around with for a while (maybe 4-5 years?). One of my goals in joining Taxi was to find a way to get all these songs used in Film/TV placements.

I learned pretty quickly that well over 90% of what I had made in the past simply didn't work for what most libraries were lookin for, mainly because I wasn't aware of some important aspects that need to be considered when making stuff specifically for film/tv placements. This included stuff like the arrangement and layout, mix/mastering techniques and quality, length, and various other things that needed to be thought of when making instrumental cues.

My personal advice is that if you're lookin for a quick way to shop all the stuff you currently have in hopes of getting it placed, Taxi probably isn't gonna be a good fit for you. If on the other hand, you're willing to work hard, keep a good attitude, create instrumentals that adhere strictly to a listing's criteria, and are willing to learn as you go, then Taxi would be an excellent fit. :)

Hope that helps a little, and feel free to ask more questions! Taxi really is amazing, and I can't say enough about these forums in particular. Tons of very knowledgeable people that are willing to help simply because it's a great community.

Andrew

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:36 am

My experience is similar to Andrew

Many years worth of material I had written before getting involved in Production Music was unsuitable and I had to learn what music they wanted and how they needed it structured / produced / mixed. It's a learning curve.

Mark

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Yeah, the only thing that you will gain from those older recordings are the experience of being creative. You will more than likely have to *scrap those songs.

*scrap, as in keep them for yourself, not throw them away.