Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

What if I just can't go ?

Post by MathieuF » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi guys !

Before I even begin, please do not try to convince me to go to the rally, it's pointless, I CANNOT GO :) I would love to and I totally believe you that it's perhaps the most important/greatest thing about Taxi. But I can't go. I just can't...so...please avoid convincing me, you don't need to...

Ok now that's out of the way...

What if I just can't go to the Rally ?? Am I wasting my money being a Taxi member ?? Is there just no chance I could have my music signed or placed ??

I am a hard working musician / producer, I learn everyday, improve as much as I can, I watch all of the Taxi TV, try to use the forum as much as possible...I write and record A LOT of music, submit to a lot of listing and in my first year in Taxi (about to end) I got 13 forwards...

But I feel like I might be wasting my money if I can't go to the Rally...

What do you think ?? Thanks :)
Mathieu Fiset - Keyboardist / Drummer / Composer
https://mathieufiset.bandcamp.com/

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What if I just can't go ?

Post by ttully » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:43 am

Hi Mathieu,

Ya just gotta go man!!!
But don't worry if you can't!

I have been a Taxi member for about 14 years, I even lived in Calabasas... right down
the street from Taxi.

I write full time for TV shows and have never been to a Road Rally.
A friend of mine is one of the most famous movie and TV music composer there is...
He has never been to a Road Rally....
BUT..
You ARE NOT wasting your time and money being a Taxi member!!!!
Without Taxi, I would not be a full time writer .... I would not even be a writer at all!!!

The most important thing you can do is WRITE GREAT MUSIC for the listings.
Not good music.... GREAT MUSIC.

You seem to be doing well with 13 forwards....
These things take time.....
I think it took me about 3 years til I got my first library deal.

Just keep writing great tracks and you will do well.
I am sure the Road Rally does help everyone that attends!!!
One of these days... I will attend the rally ..... and maybe see you there! :D

Good luck!
Tim

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:21 am

MathieuF wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:32 pm
I am a hard working musician / producer, I learn everyday, improve as much as I can, I watch all of the Taxi TV, try to use the forum as much as possible...I write and record A LOT of music, submit to a lot of listing and in my first year in Taxi (about to end) I got 13 forwards...But I feel like I might be wasting my money if I can't go to the Rally...
Hey Mathieu

I haven't been able to go either , it's an expensive trip across the Atlantic and my wife would kill/divorce me if the family holiday money was spent on a trip for myself !

Whilst I get that it must be inspiring and educational remember that many writers getting placements on TV that have never been to it either or been Taxi members so it's not a prerequisite to success.

I'm a few months into year 4 of learning the music licensing game, and 3 Taxi friendly libraries have a bunch of my music. I'm up to 4 placements now via those Libraries, hopefully more will follow.

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/se ... eard-on-tv

I think if you just keep doing the things you mentioned, learning each day, working hard and using the other resources out there like Taxi TV and other Music Licensing channels / podcasts etc. you can definitely get there Road Rally or no Road Rally.

Mark

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:23 am

Maybe this analogy works, maybe not...

Football:
The Rally can be a little like "Tryouts" but more like "The Coach's Meeting"
Pre-game information, strategy imparted to all of the players... (at the Rally that would be the classes)
Linemen discussing how to break open an offensive line... (facetime with collaborators)

If you are always late to the game, you can still get all of the information from the other players (The Forum)
(a bit like playing "telephone")
But the one thing that's hard to get is the inspirational/motivational feeling delivered in "The Coach's Meeting" (Being at the Rally)
Is it neccesary? Of course not! Especially if you are a Star Player...
As a novice Film/TV sync writer via Taxi, getting the attention of the Scouts (Libraries) is harder if you miss the Meeting
Does it bring major benefits? Of course, information directly from the Coach's mouth!

For those of us making progress as writers/collaborators it also feels like a celebration!
2cents
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MathieuF » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks a lot guys :) It sure sounds good to know that some of you can get placements and success without going.

Of course I'm not saying I will NEVER go, but right now and for the next few years, it would be extremely hard or impossible. I'm a professional, full time musician in Quebec City, doing mostly live gigs, cover bands and more and more session recordings (keyboards) and composition work. Money is something I can't throw on a plane ticket and hotel rooms in LA :D But one day...

Anyway, thanks, I'll get myself 2 more years with Taxi and see where it goes ;)
Mathieu Fiset - Keyboardist / Drummer / Composer
https://mathieufiset.bandcamp.com/

martinmichelson
Active
Active

Post by martinmichelson » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:58 pm

I guess a lot of Taxi members from Europe or other parts of the world have the problem not living near L.A. or even in the States. I would love to go to this event. But spending 1 to 2 thousand dollars only for the flight is a number.

RustyP
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RustyP » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:42 pm

So, this is maybe the wrong direction for this thread, but I'm gonna take a chance. :)

Since there are a few people in this thread who are members, but not going to the rally, I know a singer songwriter who would really like to go, but isn't a Taxi member just yet. I think they need some convincing, and the rally might just do it.

Is there any one here who might be willing to donate one of their passes? :)

thanks so much!
Please feel free to write me at
rusty@rustyperez.com
or pm me here. :)

thanks!