FAQ resource for first signing somewhere?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

FAQ resource for first signing somewhere?

Post by mkirbymusic » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Hey gang,

I'm optimistic that signing my first piece of music is just around the corner and I now find myself feeling unprepared for what to expect next..

I have consumed a LARGE amount of the TAXI TV episodes and yet I don't have a clear idea of what to expect when I get contacted for the first time by a music library.

SO I was wondering if anyone could share or point me in the right direction to a couple things I've been pondering:

Is it typical that a library requests more music from you in the same style right away, and would they give you a brief on variations of that genre of cue?

Where would I find the best resource on how to fill out my Metadata once I am sending off the tracks that are going to signed?

Look forward to hearing from you all and please if there is a TAXI TV episode that covers this then let me know!

Michael "SPILNER" Kirby
https://soundcloud.com/spilnermusic

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: FAQ resource for first signing somewhere?

Post by ResonantTone » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:45 am

Hey Michael,

In my experience, there really is no typical. Each library is different and approaches things a little bit differently. It is very common for a library to ask you if you have more in the same style, but it's definitely not a rule. It's also common that from that point on, they will stay in contact with you if they are in need of something else (sometimes a brief in the form of an email, or sometimes integrated into their website/submission portal)... but again, it's not a rule. Every library has their own method and what works for them.

The good news is that just about every library that I was contacted by early on were very helpful when I explained I was still getting my feet underneath me. They were all very good at explaining any questions I had in regards to the agreement, as well as laid out very clearly how I should be giving them metadata. (which again, varies WIDELY for each library!)

Your best bet in my opinion is to do as much research and homework as you can, be on the ball when it comes to things like getting setup with your PRO, knowing your IPI, understanding contract terms (exclusive/non-exclusive, perpetuity, sync fee, writer's share/publisher's share, etc), have quality and licensable songs ready to go at a moments notice, and then just take it one step at a time. Ultimately, it helps the library if they set you up for success, so a good library will make sure you have all the necessary info from them when you sign your first agreement.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but remember their time is valuable, so make sure they are good questions! Staying service-based in your mindset will also go a long way in helping you build the right connections.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck, and I hope to hear about an agreement coming through for you soon!

Andrew

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:27 am

Hi Michael,
I fully agree with Andrew's comment. Every publisher has individual requirements but from my experience many of them seem to have their own 'FAQ' document/link or email template that will explain the process. I eventually created a cheat sheet to make sure I use the right file format, naming convention etc. for each publisher. Once the contract is signed and you understand the individual publisher's 'formal' requirements it actually becomes a very straightforward process (that is at least what I've experienced) and it will eventually feel very similar to uploading a track to a TAXI listing.
All the best!
Cheers,
Matt

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:04 pm

I haven't met one yet that wanted to sign less than 5 tracks initially to make it worth their while setting you up in their system.

But like the others say they all vary.

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mkirbymusic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:45 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. You all definitely helped shine some light on it for me and feel a little more prepared.

I’ve done my research and am familiar on the PRO side of things as well as the lingo. I really appreciate the wisdom the community shares on here.

Michael “SPILNER” Kirby
https://soundcloud.com/spilnermusic