Whadaya Think, Guys!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Whadaya Think, Guys!

Post by johndalenow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Not enough ears the first go 'round. Thanks in advance for your comments.

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... ul/s-zQH7j

ORIGINAL '60s or '70s FUNK/SOUL SOUNDTRACK STYLE INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a European Production Music Licensing Company that has an impressive list of placements in Film, TV, and Commercials!

NOTE: They’ve JUST started running requests for music with TAXI, so chances are you don’t have any material in their catalog yet! This is a great opportunity to begin a new relationship!

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that have the general sound and vibe of the following references:

“Blacula (The Stalkwalk)” by Gene Page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWTt6ZR7-VM

“Junkie Chase” by Curtis Mayfield

“Theme From Shaft” Isaac Hayes

Please submit well-produced Instrumentals that are funky, soulful and sound like something that would have been used in a Blaxploitation film in the 1960s or 1970s. Be sure your submissions have an in-the-pocket rhythm section, with instrumentation that’s typically found in the Funk/Soul genre. A horn section or a Hammond B3 could be the icing on the cake, but it's not a requirement. Anything that sounds stiff, MIDI-driven, or obviously quantized won’t work well for this request.

NOTE: Your submissions can be actual Vintage masters recorded/produced in the 1960s/1970s, or they can be new Instrumentals that have been recently recorded and just inspired by those eras.

All submissions should be 2-3 minutes in length, give or take. Non-Faded endings will work best. Please do not copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for overall feel, texture, and tone. Era-Appropriate Broadcast quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis – No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Friday, November 8th, 2019. TAXI #Y191108FS
Last edited by johndalenow on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Whadaya Think, Guys!

Post by jdkotaska » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:58 pm

Hi John,

I'm not an expert on Funk/Soul music (or any music, really), but here are my thoughts: Stylistically, this sounds like its on target. It sounds great overall -- really funky. The parts that sound like they could use some work to me are the bass and the drums. The bass sounds a bit MIDI-ish and the drums seem like they're from a different musical style. The drums should be a simple drum set swap, I think. I'm not sure what could be done about the bass, aside from recording a real one. Its still probably good enough that I'd submit it anyway, though. Good luck!

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:38 pm

jdkotaska wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:58 pm
Hi John,

I'm not an expert on Funk/Soul music (or any music, really), but here are my thoughts: Stylistically, this sounds like its on target. It sounds great overall -- really funky. The parts that sound like they could use some work to me are the bass and the drums. The bass sounds a bit MIDI-ish and the drums seem like they're from a different musical style. The drums should be a simple drum set swap, I think. I'm not sure what could be done about the bass, aside from recording a real one. Its still probably good enough that I'd submit it anyway, though. Good luck!
Thanks JD. I appreciate your comments. I have one question about your drums comment; do you think the drum part is too busy? Is that what you mean?

Thanks for your help, Brother!

Best!

John

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jdkotaska » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:56 pm

JDM wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:38 pm
I have one question about your drums comment; do you think the drum part is too busy? Is that what you mean?
Oh, no. Not too busy. The drum part works well. The drum kit just has a different sound to me. I mostly hear it in the cymbals, but I honestly didn't analyze the rest of the kit sounds. Hope that helps!

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 am

There's definitely some cool parts in here, but there's too many MIDI instruments. For something like this you need to blend live stuff with the MIDI and then mix it really well.

Also, the drum kit sounds too much like a loop, you should go in there and edit it some more - give it more variation and I'd be tempted to change the kit too.

From an arrangement standpoint, you're on target.

Good luck with it.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:40 am

johnlewitt wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 am
There's definitely some cool parts in here, but there's too many MIDI instruments. For something like this you need to blend live stuff with the MIDI and then mix it really well.

Also, the drum kit sounds too much like a loop, you should go in there and edit it some more - give it more variation and I'd be tempted to change the kit too.

From an arrangement standpoint, you're on target.

Good luck with it.
Thanks, Brother. I appreciate your comments!

Best!

John

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:40 pm

MIx is lacking punch, sounds like the drums are way in the distance, but the brass is way too loud . Ref tracks sound drier with a punchier midrange.

Mark

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:04 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:40 pm
MIx is lacking punch, sounds like the drums are way in the distance, but the brass is way too loud . Ref tracks sound drier with a punchier midrange.

Mark
Thanks, Mark. I had hoped I would hear from you. I will make those changes. Thanks again, Brother!

Best!

John

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nicotina » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:35 pm

It's tricky to get the vintage 70's vibe. To me, your horns are perfect. But the bass and drums don't sound vintage to me. I don't have enough experience to tell you what is wrong. Something to do with the reverb and compression. I think 60's drums were super-wet, and 70's drums were super dry. Your drums sound more recent to me. Also, the organ sound isn't cutting it for me. It has vibrato on instead of Leslie, which was unfashionable in that genre, and it sounds midi rather than real.

Good tune, with killer horns though. Tweak a few sounds (maybe buy some vintage drum sounds)?

Just my two cents.

Vince

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nicotina » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:39 pm

BTW, next time you need organ on something cool like this, drop me a line. I have a real hammond and Leslie, and can get the right vibe.