Question about pitching multiple versions of a song

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

roguenoisemachine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Question about pitching multiple versions of a song

Post by roguenoisemachine » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 am

Hi folks,

I hope you all can help me out. If I pitch an edited (for time and content) and re-mixed instrumental version of a track and it gets signed (exclusively), can I still pitch the vocal version to other libraries/agents/publishers? Also, would you rename that instrumental edit something else so that it becomes an independent track, or would you call it Song (Instrumental Edit) or Song (Instrumental Cutdown)?

I had no idea what keywords to use to search the forum topics, so I hope you will forgive me if this has been answered before.

Thanks in advance!

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Question about pitching multiple versions of a song

Post by jaywilliams » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:24 pm

roguenoisemachine wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 am

I hope you all can help me out. If I pitch an edited (for time and content) and re-mixed instrumental version of a track and it gets signed (exclusively), can I still pitch the vocal version to other libraries/agents/publishers? Also, would you rename that instrumental edit something else so that it becomes an independent track, or would you call it Song (Instrumental Edit) or Song (Instrumental Cutdown)?
Hi Anelda -

In this scenario I would consider the vocal mix to be an alternate mix of the instrumental, and therefore off the table for Exclusive licensing.

I'm no expert on this would love for someone else to chime in!

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:14 am

I have submitted multiple versions of the same instrumental, and normally treat them as an individual entity, in terms of exclusivity. Also, in some cases, the original and all the different versions were forwarded, so that definitely makes them to be regarded as a single entity. Well, in my mind, at least!
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

roguenoisemachine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roguenoisemachine » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:22 am

Thanks Jay, Marco and Tom!

You have pretty much confirmed my thoughts on this. Grateful for your input! :)

-Anelda

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Hey Anelda, if you eventually sign the vocal version of the song, the company will always ask for an instrumental version as well. And if you've already signed that instrumental version to another library, you're going to have some tough explaining to do!!

There's pretty much zero chance any reputable library will sign a vocal song knowing they would not be able to get the instrumental version too.

~~Matt

roguenoisemachine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roguenoisemachine » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 am

Yup, makes so much sense. :lol: Thanks Matt!
VanderBoegh wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 pm
Hey Anelda, if you eventually sign the vocal version of the song, the company will always ask for an instrumental version as well. And if you've already signed that instrumental version to another library, you're going to have some tough explaining to do!!

There's pretty much zero chance any reputable library will sign a vocal song knowing they would not be able to get the instrumental version too.

~~Matt

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi Anelda,
Also remember.. making a few tweaks here and there could make it a completely different track but like everyone else.. it's better to be safe than sorry!
The word "Lawsuit", is verboden when it comes to Exclusive Libraries.

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

roguenoisemachine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roguenoisemachine » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks, Dan.

This is pretty much what I was getting at. I recently read an article by a composer who likes to make different 'versions' of his tracks so he has multiple pitch options. For example, he will add some Christmas elements to have a Christmas version. That led me to wondering about the rights situation, since it's technically still the same composition. The writer didn't go into the details, so I thought I would ask the wise taxi forum folks :) I agree, you could try and get away with it, but I don't like being dishonest and it seems to be the consensus that it would be exactly that!
DannyWeber wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:28 pm
Hi Anelda,
Also remember.. making a few tweaks here and there could make it a completely different track but like everyone else.. it's better to be safe than sorry!
The word "Lawsuit", is verboden when it comes to Exclusive Libraries.

Dan

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:08 pm

roguenoisemachine wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:01 pm
Thanks, Dan.

This is pretty much what I was getting at. I recently read an article by a composer who likes to make different 'versions' of his tracks so he has multiple pitch options. For example, he will add some Christmas elements to have a Christmas version. That led me to wondering about the rights situation, since it's technically still the same composition. The writer didn't go into the details, so I thought I would ask the wise taxi forum folks :) I agree, you could try and get away with it, but I don't like being dishonest and it seems to be the consensus that it would be exactly that!
Just be careful, Anelda.. most of us write tracks that we have no emotional attachment to nor feeling for. It's a numbers game and the more tracks you have out there.. the better your chances of recouping some of your hard work and effort monetarily!

Researching some of the most successful TAXI members on these Forums you will find.. you need a BIG UNIQUE catalog for the most financial success!

We're all in this together with you Anelda! Learn all you can, while you can!!! TAXI is the BEST resource for that by far!!!!

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers