60s - 70s Funk/Soul Soundtrack - Ears please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

60s - 70s Funk/Soul Soundtrack - Ears please

Post by LamarPecorino » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Here is my latest collaboration with Art Martinez, "Big Hats and Everything". The listing is located below. Thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment.

ORIGINAL '60s or '70s FUNK/SOUL SOUNDTRACK STYLE INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a European Production Music Licensing Company that has an impressive list of placements in Film, TV, and Commercials!

NOTE: They’ve JUST started running requests for music with TAXI, so chances are you don’t have any material in their catalog yet! This is a great opportunity to begin a new relationship!

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that have the general sound and vibe of the following references:

“Blacula (The Stalkwalk)” by Gene Page

“Junkie Chase” by Curtis Mayfield

“Theme From Shaft” Isaac Hayes

Please submit well-produced Instrumentals that are funky, soulful and sound like something that would have been used in a Blaxploitation film in the 1960s or 1970s. Be sure your submissions have an in-the-pocket rhythm section, with instrumentation that’s typically found in the Funk/Soul genre. A horn section or a Hammond B3 could be the icing on the cake, but it's not a requirement. Anything that sounds stiff, MIDI-driven, or obviously quantized won’t work well for this request.

NOTE: Your submissions can be actual Vintage masters recorded/produced in the 1960s/1970s, or they can be new Instrumentals that have been recently recorded and just inspired by those eras.

All submissions should be 2-3 minutes in length, give or take. Non-Faded endings will work best. Please do not copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for overall feel, texture, and tone. Era-Appropriate Broadcast quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis – No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Friday, November 8th, 2019. TAXI #Y191108FS
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

RonKujawa
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: 60s - 70s Funk/Soul Soundtrack - Ears please

Post by RonKujawa » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:04 am

Compositionally, I think you're right there. All the parts work together and have that 60/70s funk vibe. Overall, it does feel a little too sanitized. I'm assuming all the parts are midi? If so, and if you have the ability, I'd drop some real instruments in. Bass and that lead instrument, if possible. At the very least, I'd add a shaker or real percussion. It's a cool track with a memorable melody.

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm

RonKujawa wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:04 am
Compositionally, I think you're right there. All the parts work together and have that 60/70s funk vibe. Overall, it does feel a little too sanitized. I'm assuming all the parts are midi? If so, and if you have the ability, I'd drop some real instruments in. Bass and that lead instrument, if possible. At the very least, I'd add a shaker or real percussion. It's a cool track with a memorable melody.
Thanks for listening and writing, Ron. None of the instruments are MIDI. I opted to use an afuche rather than a shaker. However, the shaker would have had a more aggressive tone. I'll look into it. I'm glad that you liked the melody. We were aiming for something between "The Hustle" and "Freddy's Dead". I'm still trying to tweak the tone of the flute.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Hey Lamar, sounds cool.

I'm just listening on earbuds and laptop. Maybe the flute could use a little saturation and presence boost plus a touch of delay and reverb?

Loving your stuff man. :)

RonKujawa
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by RonKujawa » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:45 pm

LamarPecorino wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm
RonKujawa wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:04 am
Thanks for listening and writing, Ron. None of the instruments are MIDI. I opted to use an afuche rather than a shaker. However, the shaker would have had a more aggressive tone. I'll look into it. I'm glad that you liked the melody. We were aiming for something between "The Hustle" and "Freddy's Dead". I'm still trying to tweak the tone of the flute.
Wow, no MIDI?!? Well, great job recording then. I admit this genre is not my area of expertise. Lesmac may be onto something though.

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:50 pm

lesmac wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Hey Lamar, sounds cool.

I'm just listening on earbuds and laptop. Maybe the flute could use a little saturation and presence boost plus a touch of delay and reverb?

Loving your stuff man. :)
Thanks, Les. That's a great suggestion. Art's playing was great. I think that I was listening for is a bit chiff in the attack. More a Herbie Mann "Memphis Underground" vibe. Maybe your treatment will help give it a bit of an edge.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on the flute track. Here is a revised mix with some additional processing on said track. I think it helps. What are your thoughts?

Onward and upward!
Lamar

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:45 am

This track got returned. I must admit that I'm surprised. Essentially I should have stayed closer to the reference material harmonically. That would have made it "street level" and more inline with the end user's needs.

I concede that I wrote from a broader understanding of the genre than to the specifics of the listing. Nonetheless, I love the track that Art and I created and feel certain that it will find a home.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:59 am

Sorry to hear Lamar...
My thought... The flute doesn't sound Cool enough...
Not sure how I would replace it...
Although lengthening it's opening notes/stabs would give it a smoother feel?
Not my genre :oops:
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:37 pm

cassmcentee wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:59 am
Sorry to hear Lamar...
My thought... The flute doesn't sound Cool enough...
Not sure how I would replace it...
Although lengthening it's opening notes/stabs would give it a smoother feel?
Not my genre :oops:
The return was based on harmonic content. There didn't seem to be any concern about the instrumentation or performances. BH & E is more musically complex than the reference tracks. Truthfully, I was drawing on other tracks from that era (Curtis Mayfield, Quincy Jones, etc) rather than being focused on the reference tracks. I'm sure that no one else has done anything like that before. ;)
Onward and upward!
Lamar