Hip hop samples and sounds

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JoeCurran
Active
Active

Hip hop samples and sounds

Post by JoeCurran » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi all. Looking for a bit of help locating a good sample library for hip hop sounds free or paid.
Using cubase pro 10 which has quite a lot of samples but the genre seems to have quite a specific sound bank used by artists.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Hip hop samples and sounds

Post by MBantle » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:01 am

Hi Joe,
I would recommend Splice or Loopcloud. Both platforms allow you to audition each sample before you buy it and Loopcloud with its DAW integration goes even further (e.g. it lets you transpose samples to the key of your session, syncs the tempo etc.). Just check out the respective introduction videos on YouTube. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Matt

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 am

I would say Caveat emptor...see below public post from the owner of a well known music library

--snip---

NO MORE LOOPS! Here's an email going out to all our writers today: -=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Hi to all our writers

Recently we’ve had an admin and reputation problem caused by exposed ready-made loops in our music, from companies like

splice.com

Companies that sell these loops include:

• Splice
• Black Octopus
• Output Arcade
• Sounds.com
• Loopmasters
• Noiiz

Here’s the problem: if our composer uses a loop but other publishers and commercial pop producers use the same loop, there is a tune recognition clash where software including YouTube, Soundmouse and Tunesat detect a clash. Then, we are told by our sub publishers around the world that we are infringing copyright and they proactively remove our material from sale.

Then, I have to find out where the loop came from and prove both that it’s from a commercial sample library and that the EULA allows the loop to be exposed on its own in this way.

This takes a lot of time, and causes admin problems for everyone: us, sub publishers and clients. It could also cause lost income, and worst for me is it causes reputation damage. This is because ready-made loops are seen as an inferior and cheap way to create music compared to having great producers who can record their own amazing sounds without ready made loops.

IS THIS A LEGAL PROBLEM?

Mostly no, it’s an admin and reputation problem for us.

However I have heard stories about one of these companies not vetting the source of their samples well and selling loops that infringe copyright.

WHAT ABOUT PERCUSSION OR BURIED LAYERS OR SINGLE HIT SAMPLES?

Layers such as percussion loops buried in the mix are fine.

Single hit samples are also fine.

The real problem is just musical hook loops, especially when they are prominent in the mix.

WHAT ABOUT PREVIOUS TRACKS THAT HAVE THESE LOOPS?

Don’t worry. We can deal with these problems by telling people they are from sample libraries. The hassle of removing music from our library is worse than the hassle of tune recognition clashes so this is just a new rule from now.

WHAT ABOUT LOOPS ON STEMS?

If you have loops fairly buried in the mix that’s ok but never deliver them to us isolated on a stem. Always make sure your stems blend more than one sound together through the entire duration of the stem.

Doing this will avoid infringing the End User License Agreements (EULAs) of most sample libraries.

NEW CONTRACTS FROM NOW:

From now our writer agreements will include a request to never have sample library loops exposed (totally isolated or very prominent) in a mix. They will also request you to never deliver stems with unlayered sample library loops.

NEW CLAUSES HERE:

Here’s the new clauses we are adding to our writer agreements:

[The Writer ensures:]

(i) That if the Writer is using any third party sample library ‘loops’ (short licensed recordings of musical or rhythmical material), they are heavily layered or disguised so as not to be clearly recognisable by an expert listener or Tune Recognition software
(such as Tunesat or YouTube ContentID).

(j) That if the Writer is using any third party sample library ‘loops’ (short licensed recordings of musical or rhythmical material), they are never delivered to the Publisher in isolation in ‘stems’ (separate layers of sound which added together create a full
mix), but instead throughout the entire duration of the stem are layered together with at least one other sound.

BEST ADVICE: NO LOOPS!

The simplest approach you can take is to never use any sample library loops, but if you do, stick to rhythmical loops which cause far fewer tune recognition clash problems.

Thanks!

Dan

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:16 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 am
I would say Caveat emptor...see below public post from the owner of a well known music library

--snip---

NO MORE LOOPS! Here's an email going out to all our writers today: -=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Hi to all our writers

Recently we’ve had an admin and reputation problem caused by exposed ready-made loops in our music, from companies like

splice.com

Companies that sell these loops include:

• Splice
• Black Octopus
• Output Arcade
• Sounds.com
• Loopmasters
• Noiiz
Thanks for sharing this important information. I have purchased many rhythmic loops and single hit percussion samples from Splice. I also bought some musical loops that I thought might be interesting for various projects. Now, I'm glad that I didn't stock up on them.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:44 am

BEST ADVICE: NO LOOPS!

The simplest approach you can take is to never use any sample library loops, but if you do, stick to rhythmical loops which cause far fewer tune recognition clash problems.

Thanks!

Dan
[/quote]

Hi Dan!
Thanks for sharing this piece of information. Who knows what kind of other similarities e.g. in terms of melody etc. future detection software may be able to detect. So what your publisher has experienced might be just the tip of the iceberg of what is coming :D Anyway, I think using 'legal' samples is a legitimate creative choice composers should be able to make and whilst I also prefer 'handmade' tracks I am not sure I like the fact that a piece of detection software (which by its nature takes a rather simplistic 'view') is de facto going to dictate how composers working with publishers create their music. Apart from that rather philosophical observation, the outcome could be quite positive and eventually lead to more truly original tracks.
Cheers,
Matt

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:50 am

Rap is trap at this point. Mantra Beats has some good drumkits.

JoeCurran
Active
Active

Post by JoeCurran » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:05 am

Hi,
Thanks for the information guys I will look at a few of those.
Lots of information about possible infringements using loops which was very helpful. Prevention is better than the cure !

Hip hop is a style I have never really listened much to and have avoided using loops at this stage and build the beats to try to get my head round the beats. I will probably stay away from them after reading the dangers. Coming from a blues and rock background initially the kick seemed random but it’s use is different from what I am used to. Enjoying the process which is what Taxi for me is all about. As many forwards as possible goes without saying but studying different styles to see which ones I can write and use produce is interesting, fun and frustrating all at the same time.

The character of the sounds used to create melody is what I really want to find and will check out the sites mentioned.

Thanks a lot for taking the time it is really helpful.

TC

Joe

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am

If you’re going to use loops you need to chop them up in a way that is totally unrecognizable and to the point that you’re creating something completely new. Unfortunately too many lazy producers out there simply take the loop raise or lower the key a couple of semitones, add a little effect and drop it into a new drum pattern. When dealing with sync licensing, this is a sure way to get in trouble.