Authentic African

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Authentic African

Post by tresero » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Can you be too authentic for these? Here's the listing.

A WIDE RANGE OF AFRICAN INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a hard-working Music Library with a long list of killer placements in Hit TV Shows!

Quoting the Music Library Owner: “I'm looking to add a bunch of International Albums to my catalog. I know that TAXI has members all around the globe, and this would be a great way to tap into that. I bet we could find some really great, authentic stuff! I’m looking to work with TAXI members far and wide that are phenomenally talented at creating music that’s indigenous to their homeland and culture!”

IMPORTANT: You don't need to actually be from or live in Africa to submit for this, but AUTHENTICITY is key, so your music should sound like you live there :-)

NOTE: We purposely avoided adding references for this request, as the company wants to hear Instrumentals and Instrumental Cues in All Tempos that represent various African cultures, styles, and moods.

Please submit authentic-sounding, well-composed Traditional African Instrumentals or Instrumental Cues that quickly transport viewers/listeners to locations in Africa. Everything from solo instrumentation to large ensembles could work for this listing, so use your imagination and envision the circumstances that your pieces would work well for.

Simple flute melodies, basic Afro rhythmic pieces, or full band pieces could all work for this – even pieces with non-lyrical chants! As long as your music sounds incredibly authentic, send it in!

TAXI Tip: Your instruments should sound as authentic and organic as possible – nothing synthetic or overly MIDI-driven, please. If you’re using samples or virtual instruments, expert use of dynamics and expression will help you stand out.

Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length and can go a bit longer. Non-Faded, Buttoned endings will work best for this request. Broadcast Quality is needed.

https://hearthis.at/jongriffin/africa-fast-jam-pre/

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Authentic African

Post by jonnybutter » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi Tresero,

I think a bigger problem can often be that a track is too busy or too foreground rather than too authentic.

But you don't have that problem in this piece, IMO. I would say, however, that the live track - the live hand drum jamming over the loop - doesn't contrast enough tonally from the loop, so it sounds like it's fighting the loop. Plus, the rhythmic 'feel' parts don't work if they are buried/masked. If you haven't submitted this already, I'd try to build some tonal and maybe even volume contrast between the live jamming hand drum and the bg loop. Also, the loop is extremely static, but maybe that won't bother people so much if their attention is directed to the live part. Good luck!

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. The track is all live. No midi or samples. I’ll mess with the mix. I come to find that authentic isn’t really what they wanted :)

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:16 pm

jonnybutter wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:00 pm
Hi Tresero,

I think a bigger problem can often be that a track is too busy or too foreground rather than too authentic.

But you don't have that problem in this piece, IMO. I would say, however, that the live track - the live hand drum jamming over the loop - doesn't contrast enough tonally from the loop, so it sounds like it's fighting the loop. Plus, the rhythmic 'feel' parts don't work if they are buried/masked. If you haven't submitted this already, I'd try to build some tonal and maybe even volume contrast between the live jamming hand drum and the bg loop. Also, the loop is extremely static, but maybe that won't bother people so much if their attention is directed to the live part. Good luck!
I realize that one was picked up by another publisher when I was at rally.

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:29 pm

If it was all live, nice job keeping it consistent, timing wise! I didn't mean to be insulting calling it a loop - it just sounded like one. :lol:

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:32 pm

jonnybutter wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:29 pm
If it was all live, nice job keeping it consistent, timing wise! I didn't mean to be insulting calling it a loop - it just sounded like one. :lol:
No worries, no offense taken!

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:33 pm

tresero wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:32 pm
jonnybutter wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:29 pm
No worries, no offense taken!
Good